Pixel exact text rendering

Hi, I wrote a bitmap glyph renderer for text. It generates texture and screen coordinates for a given text, that I can then render. Okay. Now the shader looks like this:

float x = (text_pos.x + position.x) / dimensions.x * scale;    float y = (text_pos.y + position.y) / dimensions.y * scale;    gl_Position = vec4((x - 0.5) * 2, (-y + 0.5) * 2, 1.0, 1.0);  

It works quite good, but I wonder if there’s a possibility to not have the dimensions division here and basically draw directly to the window pixels? Not only is this slightly slower, which is a minor concern considering I’m just rendering text here, but it also is kinda annoying to have to know the viewport resolution at this point.

Shaders don’t know anything about windows so it cannot just “draw to a window pixel” they just set bits in a buffer on the gpu. You have to do the mapping like what you are doing.

Well at least the fragment shader has to more or less know something like a “pixel”, since that’s what it generates, isn’t it? So I thought maybe I could kinda “avoid” the vertex shader, but that doesn’t seem possible.

Well at least the fragment shader has to more or less know something like a “pixel”, since that’s what it generates, isn’t it?

No. There’s a reason why OpenGL doesn’t call them “pixel shaders”. Fragment shaders deal with fragments. A fragment is a piece of state generated by the rasterizer from a sample-sized section of a primitive. It isn’t a pixel yet, and it may never become one.

If there are no primitives, then there can be no fragments. So yes, you need a vertex shader.