PDA

View Full Version : Shadow mapping question

bsabiston
02-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Hello,

I am trying to use shadow mapping in my game. I ported some sample code over and finally have it working for the most part. However, I am getting some bad artifacts whenever an object which casts a shadow leaves the view frustum of the light, I think. As the object crosses the edge of the frustum boundary, the shadow spills out across the entire terrain.

I read some tutorials which suggested checking to make sure shadowCoord.w is > 0, where shadowCoord is the coordinate used to access the shadowMap:

textureProj(shadowMap, shadowCoord);

But this is not working for me. Here is the code for my frag shader. The (version >= 140) stuff is to differentiate between Mac and iOS.

void main()
{
float shadow = 1.0;

#if __VERSION__ >= 140
if (shadowCoord.w > 0.0)
shadow = textureProj(shadowMap, shadowCoord);

fragColor = vec4(colorVarying.xyz * ((1.0 - kShadowAmount) + kShadowAmount * shadow), colorVarying.w);
#else
if (shadowCoord.w > 0.0)
shadow = shadow2DProjEXT(shadowMap, shadowCoord);

gl_FragColor = vec4(colorVarying.xyz * ((1.0 - kShadowAmount) + kShadowAmount * shadow), colorVarying.w);
#endif
}

Anyone know how to fix it? Here are some pictures of what is happening. Do I need to make my light frustum large enough to encompass all the objects? Or is there a way to have it slide gracefully out of the frustum without bleeding the shadows all across the landscape? I don't care that much if the faraway objects do not have shadows, but I can't have the bleed artifacts.

Thanks
Bob

Thanks
Bob

aqnuep
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
It's hard to tell, but probably your shadowCoord is not calculated correctly. At least the code you've pasted here looks correct.

Dark Photon
02-28-2013, 05:15 AM
I am getting some bad artifacts whenever an object which casts a shadow leaves the view frustum of the light, I think. As the object crosses the edge of the frustum boundary, the shadow spills out across the entire terrain.
This would imply that you can see the edges of the light/shadow frustum inside the camera frustum. Is this correct?
Verify you are not using CLAMP_TO_EDGE wrap S/T wrap mode on your shadow texture. That might explain it. Essentially this would "smear" the casting object infinitely out away from the boundaries of the shadow map.

Do I need to make my light frustum large enough to encompass all the objects?

At least big enough to encompass all the casters.