Beginner with OpenGL, but experience programmer looking to start OpenGL for games

Hi all,

My name is Jay and I’ve been programming little games using allegro and some love2d (lua code).

I’d like to switch to using pure OpenGL and possibly use the freeGlut framework to make games now.

Is Glut powerful enough to be commercially used? I hope it is, I’m wanting to get out of using allegro, but the library does have keyboard input and some windows support and sound.

Basically what I’m trying to do is make games that are commercial quality, but only using the bear essential libraries that I need for graphics/sound/input. Is freeGlut the way to go for me? Please save me from converting to DirectX, I’m really wanting to be portable.

mathacka

If you’re already using Allegro (5), then just keep using that. Simply ignore it’s rendering functions and use OpenGL directly; it can create OpenGL displays if you want. And it’s just as portable as FreeGLUT (more or less).

FreeGLUT is not designed for games.

Thanks! I’ll switch from 4 to 5 and see how that goes

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.