PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL forum upgrade April 25th at 4AM PST

Khronos_webmaster
04-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Hello,

After many weeks of preparation and testing, and with lots of help from some of our OpenGL moderators, we will be upgrading the OpenGL forums.

Once the upgrade is complete, the OpenGL forums will be running on vBulletin. We have put a lot of research and effort into ensuring we've made the best choice for the OpenGL community as a whole.

Due to the amount of data we are moving, the forums will need to be offline for several hours during the upgrade and post upgrade testing. We have taken special care to ensure that all old links to posts will continue to work and that no information will be lost. As well, the new forums will feature a cleaner, easier to use layout, and a mobile theme for smartphones.

Please note: On the new forums, there is no longer a distinction between username and display name. We had to make a tough decision on which one to keep. In the end, it made the most sense to keep the display name, since that is what everyone knows you by, and what the forum quotes refer too. Therefore, when you login to the new forums, you will be using your current display name as your username. For example, my current username is khronos23, and my current display name is 'Khronos Webmaster'. When I login to the new forums, I will be logging in with 'Khronos Webmaster' as my username, and my current password will continue to work.

We've scheduled the upgrade for Wedensday April 25th at 4AM PST.

We thank you in advance for your patience during this transition.

Khronos_webmaster
04-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Please post issues you may find with the new forums here. I'll work as fast as possible to correct any problems.

Known Issues:
- The Index rebuild might not have indexed all posts. We are going to re-run the index tonight. In the meantime, there "might" be some posts that will not appear in searches.
- On the new forums, there is no longer a distinction between username and display name. We had to make a tough decision on which one to keep. In the end, it made the most sense to keep the display name, since that is what everyone knows you by, and what the forum quotes refer too. Therefore, when you login to the new forums, you will be using your current display name as your username. For example, my current username is khronos23, and my current display name is 'Khronos Webmaster'. When I login to the new forums, I will be logging in with 'Khronos Webmaster' as my username, and my current password will continue to work.

Chris Lux
04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Maybe this will be fixed after the re-indexing:
I am missing my watched threads list, it should be converted to the subscribed threads in my profile.

Regards
-chris

barthold
04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks to James (our Webmaster), Dark Photon, Groovounet, ZbuffeR and others on working hard on this transition to a new, modern, forum. Great job, thank you!

Barthold
(with my ARB hat on)

PS If I missed your name and helped flush out bugs, let James or myself know.

jriordon
04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Chris, the import didn't allow for the watch threads to be imported, but I am trying to work out a script to grab those as we speak.

Chris Lux
04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks, and also a big Thank You for the new forums! ;)

-chris

jriordon
04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
You're more than welcome! Can you do me a favour and check your subscribed list now. Let me know if it is close to what you would expect?

Aleksandar
04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm a little bit disappointed with this upgrade. :(

Probably this is better, or will be better (after fixing some minor problems), but certainly I'll spend less time on the forum from now on. There are several reasons for this:

1. There is no indication if there are some new posts inside some of the subforums/groups. We have to open them to take a look.

2. Even after opening some subforum/group icons representing unread posts (open envelope) do not differ much from read ones (closed envelope). The color indicates actuality of the posts, but it would be much better to draw attention to unread posts.

3. I have just opened two browsers on the same computer. In one it is indicated that I have read post (and that is true), while on the other "the envelope is opened". I really don't have time to open the same posts several times just to find I have already read them. I used to open the forum several times during the day from my computer at work, from smartphone, notebook and netbook at home. If I have no indication whether I have already opened some forum/thread and there is no new posts, it will dramatically reduce the frequency of accessing the forum.

4. What is "advanced" in writing reply using "Go Advanced" button. The interface is really Spartan.

5. I have problem to login on the smartphone, and also many images are missing (just placeholders with "imag" text appears). I'm using Opera Mobile. The site looks completely different than on a desktop, but ... Since I cannot login I cannot try anything.

Gamedev, in my humble opinion, was ruined with the new interface some time ago. I hope this forum will not be doomed by the same faith.
Hopefully, at least, the response time will be much shorter now...

I beg moderators to list the benefits of the new interface.

Khronos_webmaster
04-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the upgrade. First things first: You wrote: "Since I cannot login I cannot try anything." What is hte issue with logging in?

Aleksandar
04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Hey, it works now! :)
It didn't when I tried it half an hour ago.
And the images appeared.
Thanks for the fix!

P.S. Still some images don't appear (like "You are subscribed to this...", avatars, smilies, etc.). By the way, why am I automatically subscribed to any thread I have posted something?

Resize is not possible. Pages are with fix size in Opera Mobile. Earlier, the text was initially small, but it could be resized. Maybe this is better for non-multitouch screens. Now I understand what you meant by alleviating access from the phones.

Khronos_webmaster
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
For the other points you make, I'll do my best to answer your concerns:

1. There is no indication if there are some new posts inside some of the subforums/groups. We have to open them to take a look.

The forums are highlighted with a different colour icon if there are new posts since you last visited. I do agree that the colouring is slight and vague and doesn't really make it obvious there are new posts. We will update the icons to better display forums with and without unread posts. Thank you for pointing this out.

2. Even after opening some subforum/group icons representing unread posts (open envelope) do not differ much from read ones (closed envelope). The color indicates actuality of the posts, but it would be much better to draw attention to unread posts.

If I understand again, this is an issue of unclear icons beside the posts. We can fix that! Also, unread posts have a button to take you directly to the first unread post, which might help.

3. I have just opened two browsers on the same computer. In one it is indicated that I have read post (and that is true), while on the other "the envelope is opened".

From your comment further down, you are not logged in, so there is no way for the browsers to know what you have or have not read. Once you login, this issue should be moot. Let me know if I missed the point.

4. What is "advanced" in writing reply using "Go Advanced" button. The interface is really Spartan.

Yes, I agree with you on this. The reply form needs some attention. I'll get to that right away and see what can be done to make the advanced form more useful.

5. I have problem to login on the smartphone, and also many images are missing (just placeholders with "imag" text appears). I'm using Opera Mobile. The site looks completely different than on a desktop, but ... Since I cannot login I cannot try anything.

You can switch to the full theme if you prefer that on the smart phone, down at the bottom there is a link for "Full Site". When you arrive on the site with your smartphone, can you tell me which images are broken? I'm not seeing what you are seeing. I've also tried several times to login and had no issues from a smart phone. Which is your phone make and model, and do you have a different browser you can try from the smart phone.

We'll keep working to improve the "default" icons and features to make the forums better than they ever were.

Thank you for the feedback.

Chris Lux
04-25-2012, 01:59 PM
You're more than welcome! Can you do me a favour and check your subscribed list now. Let me know if it is close to what you would expect?
Thanks,
this is almost what i was looking for. In the old forums i 'subscribed' to threads is did not post in, these were the watched threads which i am still missing. I sadly can not remember all threads i had on this list, but it was always a good way to keep up to date with these topics...

-chris

Khronos_webmaster
04-25-2012, 02:03 PM
By the way, why am I automatically subscribed to any thread I have posted something?

Fixed this issue. It was on by default on the new forums.

Khronos_webmaster
04-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, the only watched threads for you I found are what I imported to your account. You should have about 16 watched threads.

ZbuffeR
04-25-2012, 02:06 PM

According to the "Icon Legend", the color is different if subforum "Contains unread forum posts" or "Contains no unread forum posts".
I that what you mean ?

Otherwise, I find the "New posts" link useful :
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

carsten neumann
04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the work on the update!

Would it be possible to get a "Preview" button for the quick reply box? I've almost never used the full reply screen in the old forums, but very much like to see a preview of a post to make sure tags are balanced, etc.

Aleksandar
04-25-2012, 02:16 PM
I do agree that the colouring is slight and vague and doesn't really make it obvious there are new posts.
I realized that also after the first posting. The colors are blue and gray (but very similar shades). It is hard to notice on the first glance. I'll be grateful if you can change this.

Also, unread posts have a button to take you directly to the first unread post, which might help.
I'm sill unaware of that. Maybe you could post what are the main features of the new interface. That was what I asked for.

From your comment further down, you are not logged in, so there is no way for the browsers to know what you have or have not read. Once you login, this issue should be moot. Let me know if I missed the point.
Nope. Those were two instances on the desktop (Opera and Internet Explorer). The problem with logging was on the mobile phone (Android/Opera Mobile). I was logged on both Opera and IE (Windows), but the view was not the same. I can carry out the experiment again.

You can switch to the full theme if you prefer that on the smart phone, down at the bottom there is a link for "Full Site". When you arrive on the site with your smartphone, can you tell me which images are broken? I'm not seeing what you are seeing. I've also tried several times to login and had no issues from a smart phone. Which is your phone make and model, and do you have a different browser you can try from the smart phone.
I discovered the "Full Theme" myself. Yes, that's what I needed. I have to experiment with the new interface more.
In "Full Theme" there are no issues (at least thus far). Most of the images in the first (restricted) theme are missing. But how can I return to simplified theme?

Thank you very much for the answers!
Maybe some short "user guide" for the new site would be useful. :)

Thank you again!

Khronos_webmaster
04-25-2012, 02:33 PM
I've updated the icons to a somewhat easier to understand set. Not set in stone, but it does help a bit. For a guide, I just need some time to get to that, which seems the only limiting factor right now. Understandably a new forum can be jarring for any user, and I appreciate your patience.

I discovered the "Full Theme" myself. Yes, that's what I needed. I have to experiment with the new interface more.
In "Full Theme" there are no issues (at least thus far). Most of the images in the first (restricted) theme are missing. But how can I return to simplified theme?

At the bottom of the forum, there is a drop down menu to choose the them you wish to use. I notice there are two mobile themes, one which seems to come and go depending on the page you are on. That is most likely what is causing the issue, as we have only installed on mobile theme. A bug we will fix!

Aleksandar
04-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Would it be possible to get a "Preview" button for the quick reply box?
Another vote for it. Really useful feature.

Otherwise, I find the "New posts" link useful.
I haven't noticed it. Well, yes, but I need a selective search. For example, I don't need new posts for Linux or MacOS. Just making icons more apparent will be much useful.

Also just noticed "Go to first new post" icon. Can be useful. On the old site it was automatically done by clicking on the thread's link.

What does the "Sticky" mark mean?

Khronos_webmaster
04-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Sticky mark is for threads that are set to be sticky, which means they will stay at the top until sticky is turned off. A way for moderators to keep important posts at the top.

Aleksandar
04-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I notice there are two mobile themes, one which seems to come and go depending on the page you are on.

The default is what is called "Advanced Mobile", and there are problems in displaying images. In "Full Site" mode ("Default Style" in the drop down menu) everything is like on the desktop and functions properly.

Thanks again!

P.S. This is quite interesting. With each new refresh the new icons appear. Maybe we could vote for the best ones. :)
Thanks for the edit toolbar also!

There is a problem with editing text with the smilies. Pressing enter after smily moves cursor after the previous QUOTE (several lines before intended position) and makes new line. Tested on this message.

Khronos_webmaster
04-25-2012, 03:21 PM
P.S. This is quite interesting. With each new refresh the new icons appear. Maybe we could vote for the best ones. :)
Thanks for the edit toolbar also!

You're welcome! It might take a few loads for the new images to make it into your cache. I've just updated the smilies with ones that went missing during the last forum update. We are getting closer now to a properly working forum. Many thanks for your patience and persistence in helping to get the forums fixed up.

Aleksandar
04-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Thank you for the patience in conversation with me! I'm sorry for the overreacting after the first glance.

tanzanite
04-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Encountered a password recovery stock questions: "Is water wet or dry" - but it did not accept any answer i could come up with. Luckily, refreshing the page rerolled the question and i was able to get through.

thokra
04-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Awesome. Looks good!

ZbuffeR
04-26-2012, 02:52 AM
- In the "Quick links" there a link to "today's posts", but is it possible to also have 3 last days posts ?

- Another request : before, on these pages, there was a preview of the last post in each thread, that helped to quickly check for new stuff when the "unread posts" flags are wrong. Also useful to spot spam very quickly. Is it possible to have this preview on the new forums ?

kRogue
04-26-2012, 04:36 AM
Sniff... lost my stars with the new interface :whistle:

Aleksandar
04-26-2012, 05:26 AM
Sniff... lost my stars with the new interface :whistle:
Please don't return stars or change the way they can be earned.

What about avatars? There is no way to add avatar in the profile.

Khronos_webmaster
04-26-2012, 06:58 AM
What about avatars? There is no way to add avatar in the profile.

Once logged in, click on Settings... up there beside logout on the right hand side, then under My Settings -> Edit Avatar. Lots of other things there too! :)

Aleksandar
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I have added the profile picture, but it does not appear as an avatar. And there is no way to choose picture for the avatar.
Hm, probably I should get some sleep and wait until small bugs got fixed. :)

Anyway, you have fixed many issues since yesterday. Thank you!

Khronos_webmaster
04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Avatars are now working! My bad.

sqrt[-1]
04-26-2012, 06:38 PM
FYI - I found I had to reset my password.

sqrt[-1]
04-26-2012, 06:44 PM
I also seem to be having trouble searching based on username - trying to find my old posts by clicking on my username only seems to search each sub forum I am in?
Using the advanced search does not seem to find anything.

tksuoran
04-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Please make a dark skin / theme available. I really need it. Thanks!

Also, if I switch to the advanced mobile theme on desktop (silly me) I am welcomed with an error page, and it takes a while to figure out how to reverse that setting change..

Khronos_webmaster
04-27-2012, 07:52 AM
What is the error page you get, and can you tell me what is the name of the mobile theme you choose. When I try it here, I have no issues. Thanks.

Khronos_webmaster
04-27-2012, 07:53 AM
;1236860']I also seem to be having trouble searching based on username - trying to find my old posts by clicking on my username only seems to search each sub forum I am in?
Using the advanced search does not seem to find anything.

We still need to rebuild the search index. It's huge and takes many hours to complete. Should have the working by Saturday morning.

Khronos_webmaster
04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
- In the "Quick links" there a link to "today's posts", but is it possible to also have 3 last days posts ?

I think you only saw today's posts as the forum was only online for a day. More seem to show up now.

tksuoran
04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/profile.php?do=editoptions

says:

We are sorry, this content is not supported via the mobile style.

kowal
04-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi,

I encoutered strange behaviour of reply form (both basic and advanced one):
each Return keystroke inserts two newlines (I have to manually delete one)

OS: Linux, browser: Firefox with Pentadactyl extension, it didn't happen with old interface.

ps. New theme is great.

edit: It must be bug in FF or Pentadactyl, there is no problem with Opera :(

edit2: or bug in forums, Pentadactyl's text edit mode doesn't work with reply text field
(but only with WYSIWYG mode, in source mode there is no problem with newlines)
I can live with that :)

Khronos_webmaster
04-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Editing profiles doesn't seem available on the mobile style. There's a patch for the mobile theme, no idea what it entails, but I'll try to get it installed this weekend. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Dark Photon
05-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Please post issues you may find with the new forums here. I'll work as fast as possible to correct any problems.

I think one of my biggest problems with the new forums is that when I select a thread that has new posts, it jumps to the first post rather than the first "unread" post. This is a big time sync. I don't like reading new posts out of context in the forum-and-thread-merged "new posts" list, and sorting a thread new posts first means you're reading the thread in reverse chrono order which isn't ideal.

Could we consider implementing this:

* Go to Unread Post after clicking Text Title (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/349355-Go-to-Unread-Post-after-clicking-Text-Title?) (VBulletin 4 Forums)

Sounds like it's just popping a "goto=newpost" into a template.

Thanks.

Dark Photon
05-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Also, there's still not much visual difference between the "no new posts" and the "new posts" icons on the forums, even on desktops, but especially on smaller displays like tablets. Think we could change the unread color to bright yellow, orange, or something, and possibly use an icon with a larger "active" area that would be this color than the checkmark? This isn't a high priority, but would be nice if you've got more icons you can flip in easily.

kyle_
05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I have a very minor thing, but probably can be just turned off easily.
Do we really need the button (and the page containing it) 'click here when you are not returned in 5 seconds' (or compatible) during login?

Dark Photon
05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
...when I select a thread that has new posts, it jumps to the first post rather than the first "unread" post. ... Could we consider implementing this:

* Go to Unread Post after clicking Text Title (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/349355-Go-to-Unread-Post-after-clicking-Text-Title?) (VBulletin 4 Forums)

Sounds like it's just popping a "goto=newpost" into a template.

Thanks.

As a for-instance, try this link:

* www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/175477-Direct-State-Access?goto=newpost

which does this. You can do this with any thread link, but you have to append the ?goto=newpost yourself. Would be great if the forums would just do this for you.

Dark Photon
05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Uh oh. Looks like searching lost track of the posts from the old forums. Try a search for "bindless", any date, sorted in descending order by date. You get one hit -- something posted recently on the VB forums.

Khronos_webmaster
05-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I've made this addition. Hopefully it makes sense and works as expected.

Khronos_webmaster
05-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Uh oh. Looks like searching lost track of the posts from the old forums. Try a search for "bindless", any date, sorted in descending order by date. You get one hit -- something posted recently on the VB forums.

Need to rebuild the index one more time. I'll run it tonight and everything should hopefully, finally, be good. The first build is really intensive and keeps stopping before it finishes.

Simon Arbon
05-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Where do you set the date format?
This BBS is displaying all the dates in that weird american format with the date and month reversed.
The General Settings/Date & Time options does not have a date format option.

ZbuffeR
05-04-2012, 04:46 AM
I have 2 requests to fight spam :
1) prevent URLs in signature, unless certain threshold of un-deleted posts is reached, and for every user having been assigned a "Spam infraction"
2) a way for moderators to ban spammer users

Dark Photon
05-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Thanks. However, I'm not seeing it. When I click on a thread with unread posts, it still puts me on the first post, not the first "unread" post like the old forums did.

I do see there's a "View First Unread" link above the post displayed after you open the thread that will jump to where I want. Is the proposal that we hit that every time we open a thread rather than have the forums do this for you automatically?

Dark Photon
05-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Can we stop the forums from auto-logging you out so fast? Seems like I can't get interrupted to do anything else while reading them, or it logs me out and resets everything to a "read" state for next time.

Something like 30-60 minutes would be good instead of 5 min (or whatever it is), and user control would be better. Thanks.

Khronos_webmaster
05-08-2012, 08:13 AM
goto new post: Ha, I only added it to the Dark Style! I'll get it on the light style too.

Logout: Do you get logged out even if you check the "Remember me" box when logging in?

Khronos_webmaster
05-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Fixed logout issue, I think. It was 15 minutes and is now 1 hour.

OpenGL Light style now has the goto_newpost feature on the thread titles. Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Dark Photon
05-09-2012, 03:52 PM
I hadn't checked the Remember me box. Don't really know what it's for (is that for if you never want to log out, or if you want it to auto-log you in whenever you visit after logging out?). I visit from different boxes/IPs periodically so remember me probably isn't the best option for me.

Thanks for bumping the timeout, and for the new post feature! The latter worked great on the threads I've opened thus far.

kRogue
05-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Did the search index get.. fixed? For example, atleast for me, doing a search under bindless does not yield much...

thokra
05-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Khronos_webmaster: Is there a function to directly access your subscriptions? I know you can go and see your PMs over Notifications but something like direct access to subscriptions would also be nice.

Khronos_webmaster
05-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Dark Photon: Remember Me is to have you auto logged in. But, the extended cookie length should suffice for your needs.

kRogue: I believe we now have the search index working as it should. Please test when you get a chance. I searched bindless and found many results dating way back.

kowal
05-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Search works as it should (for me), but there is another issue:

Subforums show only posts after upgrade, for example advanced subforum has over 16k threads,
but I can only access 35 of them (rest is searchable but not browsable).

Dark Photon
05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for working on search. I think there might still be some gremlins though. If I do an Advanced Search for posts by me, sorted in descending order by date (which I sometimes do to see if I need to follow up to some threads I've posted in), I don't get any posts after 11/9/11, there's only ~18 for 2011, and ~10 for 2010. Pretty sure I posted a lot more than that.

However, if I go to my profile and click the "Find Lastest Posts", then I get a list which includes posts I just made today.

thokra
05-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Just discovered a minor inconsistency. If you go to some thread via the link in the "Last Post" column and then go back to the forum's main page using the "Forum" button next to "What's New?" the status of the sub-forum where the last post is in isn't marked read even if no further threads in the subforum are unread. This can be repeated multiple times with no effect. If, however, one goes to the sub-forum via the sub-forum's direct link it's updated correctly.

It also doesn't set the status correctly if you go back via the hierarchical chain, e.g. Forum->DEVELOPERS->Suggestions for the next release of OpenGL->glVertexAttribIPointer.

Also, a sub-forum is marked unread if you post something yourself which doesn't make much sense.

Alfonse Reinheart
05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Speaking of inconsistencies, I noted that the "Forum: User Hardware, Software, & Gaming Help" sub-forum is always sorted by default from first post to last (so the first post is from 2000). I'm guessing there's some setting that flipped there.

Dark Photon
05-15-2012, 04:23 AM
And on that note, when you re-sort via the controls at the bottom of the forum, you lose your "read/unread" icons (color vs. not) -- everything becomes read. That's not helpful.

Dark Photon
05-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Still having problems with search. If I search All Types, for keyword bindless, by Dark Photon, I get 2 hits (actually had a need to do this search this morning). I know there's more than that.

Also, it really slows up finding content in the archives with searches matching whole threads (which may have 5 pages of postings) instead of individual posts (like the old forums; was easy to find things with its search). I'm getting so I give up and use google to try and find the posts instead.

Khronos_webmaster
05-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Search works as it should (for me), but there is another issue:

Subforums show only posts after upgrade, for example advanced subforum has over 16k threads,
but I can only access 35 of them (rest is searchable but not browsable).

At the bottom you can choose to view more posts. If I view all posts, I see 654 pages of posts.

Dark Photon
05-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Could you add the auto-skip to "new post" feature on opening a thread to the mobile profile too?

Thanks.

Khronos_webmaster
05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Could you add the auto-skip to "new post" feature on opening a thread to the mobile profile too?

Made this change.

Khronos_webmaster
05-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Speaking of inconsistencies, I noted that the "Forum: User Hardware, Software, & Gaming Help" sub-forum is always sorted by default from first post to last (so the first post is from 2000). I'm guessing there's some setting that flipped there.

Fixed this issue. Also extended the forum to show posts from 1 month as it appeared to default to show posts from last day.

Khronos_webmaster
05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
And on that note, when you re-sort via the controls at the bottom of the forum, you lose your "read/unread" icons (color vs. not) -- everything becomes read. That's not helpful.

We have an option to change the way the "read" posts is handled. Right now we are on the default method which is not considered great. I've no idea exactly what will happen with peoples "read" posts will change to, but I don't think it will be devestating. What do you think, should I give it a whirl? Can it be worse than now?

Khronos_webmaster
05-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for working on search. I think there might still be some gremlins though. If I do an Advanced Search for posts by me, sorted in descending order by date (which I sometimes do to see if I need to follow up to some threads I've posted in), I don't get any posts after 11/9/11, there's only ~18 for 2011, and ~10 for 2010. Pretty sure I posted a lot more than that.

However, if I go to my profile and click the "Find Lastest Posts", then I get a list which includes posts I just made today.

Seems searching with entering in a user name, it will only show posts that were started by that author. Will look for a solution.

Dark Photon
05-22-2012, 06:49 PM
> Could you add the auto-skip to "new post" feature on opening a thread to the mobile profile too?
Made this change.

Thank you!

Dark Photon
05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
We have an option to change the way the "read" posts is handled. Right now we are on the default method which is not considered great. I've no idea exactly what will happen with peoples "read" posts will change to, but I don't think it will be devestating. What do you think, should I give it a whirl? Can it be worse than now?
Sure. Worth a shot.

Aleksandar
06-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I have a problem to post anything from Opera Mobile (ver.12 on Android 2.3.5). Standard styles does not set focus on the edit control. A mobile style allows adding text, but pressing the button to add the post actually does nothing. Please, could anyone check whether it is a problem with the script execution or my version of Opera Mobile?

Dark Photon
06-06-2012, 06:19 AM
It seems like there used to be an "Advanced Search" text link up in the forum title bar that you could Ctrl-Click and get a search page in another tab. Now there's this magnifying glass icon (form button) that Ctrl-Click doesn't work for. It always opens up the search page in the same tab.

Could we get something that's just a standard URL link to the search page back? I typically want to do a search to do "research" from the thread I'm currently viewing, and I don't want to navigate away from that page in the same tab.

I can work around it, by Ctrl-Clicking the Forum tab to get a new tab for the GL forums, and then hit the search button in it, so this isn't a huge deal. But if the change is simple, please do.

Thanks.

Dark Photon
06-06-2012, 06:29 AM
And I'm seeing continuing problems with Search. If I search for posts in the last month by me (trying to provide help to a recent post that's essentially the same request as one a few weeks back), I get only 3 hits. There's been quite a few more than that.

On the other hand, remembering a parallel feature under the user profile (View recent posts), it can find all of them.

What's going on there?

Khronos_webmaster
06-06-2012, 07:48 AM
It seems like there used to be an "Advanced Search" text link up in the forum title bar that you could Ctrl-Click and get a search page in another tab. Now there's this magnifying glass icon (form button) that Ctrl-Click doesn't work for. It always opens up the search page in the same tab.

Could we get something that's just a standard URL link to the search page back? I typically want to do a search to do "research" from the thread I'm currently viewing, and I don't want to navigate away from that page in the same tab.

I can work around it, by Ctrl-Clicking the Forum tab to get a new tab for the GL forums, and then hit the search button in it, so this isn't a huge deal. But if the change is simple, please do.

Thanks.

I see an advanced search:

Do you not see that? If not, what theme are you on, logged in or out, and what browser and OS.

Thanks.

Khronos_webmaster
06-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Still working on the search issues. :(

Dark Photon
06-07-2012, 05:36 AM
I see an advanced search: Do you not see that?
Wow! That's odd!

Whether the "Advanced Search" link appears seems to be context sensitive (in a non-intuitive way).

I see it right now on this thread while reading.
But if I go into reply mode, it doesn't appear.
And after I reply and go back to reading mode, it doesn't appear.
Further, if I go here to this thread Multisampled-FBO-problem (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/177845-Multisampled-FBO-problem?p=1238429#post1238429) to read, it also doesn't appear.
And I don't see it on pages displaying a forum's thread index (rather than a specific thread).

This is with on the "OpenGL Style" skin, when logged in, with Firefox 13.0 (Linux).

Flipping to the "OpenGL Dark Style" skin displays the "Advanced Search" link for the above problem cases. Incidentially, I'd probably be using the dark style, but the "code" blocks are still white-on-white and thus unreadable. Would appreciate a tweak there.

Further playing with this "Advanced Search" link issue reveals that in the problem cases, the "Advanced Search" link is really there, but it is rendering white-on-white.

Alfonse Reinheart
06-07-2012, 05:47 AM
I followed your link, and I see the Advanced Search link just fine. I think this may be a local problem; what browser are you using? I'm on FF13. Also, are you blocking some JavaScript?

ZbuffeR
06-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Centos5, FF12 I do always see the advanced search.
Dark Photon, try clearing your browser cache.

Dark Photon
06-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Clearing the cache didn't fix it.

Khronos_webmaster
06-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Further playing with this "Advanced Search" link issue reveals that in the problem cases, the "Advanced Search" link is really there, but it is rendering white-on-white.

Can you post a screen shot showing the white on white? The bar is blue behind the Advanced Search, so I want to better understand what is going off here. Presumably a font size, font face, or something slightly different on your machine is causing the page to render a bit differently.

Thanks.

Khronos_webmaster
06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Flipping to the "OpenGL Dark Style" skin displays the "Advanced Search" link for the above problem cases. Incidentially, I'd probably be using the dark style, but the "code" blocks are still white-on-white and thus unreadable. Would appreciate a tweak there.

Fixing the Dark Style Code blocks.

aqnuep
06-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Why did you change back the design of the icons to how it was at the launch of this new forum? This version makes it so difficult to differentiate already visited forums/posts.

Khronos_webmaster
06-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Why did you change back the design of the icons to how it was at the launch of this new forum? This version makes it so difficult to differentiate already visited forums/posts.

We didn't do it intentionally. We just upgraded the forums and missed moving the icons right away. Our upgrade script now includes keeping the old icons. Just a menu issue to resolve in the templates. Tonight we will rebuild the search indexes ... again.

aqnuep
06-15-2012, 11:45 AM
We didn't do it intentionally. We just upgraded the forums and missed moving the icons right away. Our upgrade script now includes keeping the old icons. Just a menu issue to resolve in the templates. Tonight we will rebuild the search indexes ... again.
Thank you, it's working again :)

Dark Photon
06-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Can you post a screen shot showing the white on white? The bar is blue behind the Advanced Search, so I want to better understand what is going off here. Presumably a font size, font face, or something slightly different on your machine is causing the page to render a bit differently.
Sure thing (attached). Here on Firefox 12.0, the Advanced Search isn't where you describe. So I wonder if there's some CSS, Javascript, or other mechanism that's kicking in differently for me than for you.

The first image is what I see on this forum post in the upper-right corner. In the second image, I've selected the 'hidden" Advanced Search text with the mouse and captured another screenshot. So you can see it's there. It's just not a readable color (for where it's placed).

BTW, just noticed that the VBulletin image attachment uploader has a max size of 620x280 for an image (my first time trying VB attachments). Otherwise it apparently shrinks whatever size you give it way down (to that size presumably and converts to JPEG. So I've cropped the images to <= that size so VB doesn't mess with them. Click twice on each image to see the correct image.

aqnuep
06-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Is there a way to change my signature? It seems that I cannot, at least I didn't find any way. Does anybody have the same issue?

thokra
06-22-2012, 12:28 AM
@aqnuep: "Settings"(between "My Profile" and "Logout") -> "My Settings" -> "Edit Signature"

I have to admit, the separation between "My Profile" where you can edit some stuff "About me" and "Settings" where you essentially do all the rest is quite confusing.

aqnuep
06-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Thank you very much! I was confused about this separation too.

thokra
06-25-2012, 05:13 AM
Is there any way to prevent this bombardment of spam messages? Is the current version of vBulletin so susceptible to this stuff? The old board didn't have this problem IIRC.

Alfonse Reinheart
06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Towards the end, the old forum did have spammers getting in. But it wasn't as pervasive as it is now, where we get 2-3 spammers every day. It was more a once-a-week kind of thing.

glDan
06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Is there any way to prevent this bombardment of spam messages? Is the current version of vBulletin so susceptible to this stuff? The old board didn't have this problem IIRC.

It is far worse than it ever has.
Obviously, CAPTCHA don't work, they need to switch it out, or just moderate the first 5 posts from any new user.
That will stop pretty much all spam.

Dark Photon
07-02-2012, 04:44 AM
At some point a week or two ago, clicking on the Forums button at the top of the opengl.org home page stopped taking you to the Forums list (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/forum.php) and instead landed you on the What's New (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/activity.php) tab.

Can we change the default back to giving you the Forum List? Didn't see a user option to control this but maybe I missed it (?)

Thanks.

Aleksandar
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I've just noticed that personal messages are disabled by default. Please, enable it if you want to receive pm.
Also, a question for the administrator: Is there any chance to increase the message quota?

Khronos_webmaster
07-09-2012, 06:36 AM
It is far worse than it ever has.
Obviously, CAPTCHA don't work, they need to switch it out, or just moderate the first 5 posts from any new user.
That will stop pretty much all spam.

We are actively working on the spam issue. I'd prefer not to have to resort to moderating all new users. We used to do that years ago, and its a pain. However, if all else fails, we will do that. We are trying out some plugins that are designed to be non intrusive and reduce spam.

Khronos_webmaster
07-09-2012, 06:37 AM
I've just noticed that personal messages are disabled by default. Please, enable it if you want to receive pm.
Also, a question for the administrator: Is there any chance to increase the message quota?

Will enable personal messages and increase quota.

Khronos_webmaster
07-09-2012, 06:37 AM
At some point a week or two ago, clicking on the Forums button at the top of the opengl.org home page stopped taking you to the Forums list (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/forum.php) and instead landed you on the What's New (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/activity.php) tab.

Can we change the default back to giving you the Forum List? Didn't see a user option to control this but maybe I missed it (?)

Thanks.

Most likely in the VB 4.2 upgrade. I will fix.

Aleksandar
07-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Will enable personal messages and increase quota.
Thank you very much! I have already enabled messages in my profile (although I cannot send/receive because boxes are overfilled), but most of the users are probably not. It was just a note for the community.

Khronos_webmaster
07-11-2012, 08:41 AM
t some point a week or two ago, clicking on the Forums button at the top of the opengl.org home page stopped taking you to the Forums list (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/forum.php) and instead landed you on the What's New (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/activity.php) tab.

This issue is fixed.

Khronos_webmaster
07-11-2012, 08:45 AM

I believe these two issues are resolved.

GLpeon
07-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Why is it when we try to report spam, we get this: This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 42 seconds.
That seems rather silly, spammers can post at will, and yet people who try to report spam, must wait 60 secs. before they can do so...:sick:

Khronos_webmaster
07-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Why is it when we try to report spam, we get this: This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 42 seconds.
That seems rather silly, spammers can post at will, and yet people who try to report spam, must wait 60 secs. before they can do so...:sick:

Hi GLpeon,

I did get your reports and have removed the spam. As for the 60 seconds, we set that as a wait time for posting and private messages. Seems it also affects the spam reporting. We're actively working on a solution to minimize spam. I'll see if there is a way to upgrade long term users with many good posts to a better permission category automatically. This would resolve the issue you are having. No guarantees though :)

Dark Photon
07-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Thank you!

Dark Photon
07-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Also, can we disable the 5000 character limit for PMs? I know several of us have hit this recently.

ZbuffeR
07-16-2012, 04:38 AM
The amount of spam is incredible these times.

What about a panel for moderators / long time posters that lists recent messages posted by new accounts, up to the 5 first messages per account ? With an easy button "spam : delete all messages from user and ban for life" ?

Or forbidding any link of images for new users, be it in signature, PM, post, unless the account have been approved by a moderator / long time poster ?

thokra
07-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Looking at my subscriptions, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a way to select/delete all subscriptions. The button "View all subscriptions" simply jumps back to the first page. Selecting all thread can't be done with a single function and not being able to show all threads forces me do delete all threads page by page. Can we fix this?

Also, somehow I don't receive notifications anymore. The subscription count was 94 and multiple replies which really should have launched an email didn't. I'm waiting for something to happen to confirm that the number of subscriptions is somehow responsible.

Khronos_webmaster
07-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Looking at my subscriptions, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a way to select/delete all subscriptions. The button "View all subscriptions" simply jumps back to the first page. Selecting all thread can't be done with a single function and not being able to show all threads forces me do delete all threads page by page. Can we fix this?

As of now there is no way to change the number of subscriptions listed on a single page. Current setting is 25 subscriptions to a page.

Also, somehow I don't receive notifications anymore. The subscription count was 94 and multiple replies which really should have launched an email didn't. I'm waiting for something to happen to confirm that the number of subscriptions is somehow responsible.

Perhaps a silly question, but are the subscriptions going to your spam folder? Asking as our mailserver logs show several subscription notices going out successfully to your email address on a daily basis.

Khronos_webmaster
07-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Also, can we disable the 5000 character limit for PMs? I know several of us have hit this recently.

I've removed the limit.

thokra
07-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Perhaps a silly question, but are the subscriptions going to your spam folder?

Turns out it worked all the time - the damn GMX web interface actually screwed up. Sorry for the false alarm.

Another thing I noticed: When you post in some thread and your post is the last one, you'll see it in "New Posts". This isn't really necessary since I assume one knows what they have just posted. :)

I also notices some issues when editing text, especially when copying something with a different format into the editor. I'll try to reproduce something.

Edit: Regarding the "New Posts" issue, the thread will be marked "read" which is contradictory as well. BTW, thanks for removing the 5000 char limit. ;)

Dark Photon
07-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks.

(more text just to get past min post len...)

thokra
08-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Is there any way the text editor can capture TAB key events and actually indent code? Can one override the default behavior of the browser once the text editor gets the focus?

The reason I ask is obvious: If you write some code from scratch to explain something you can't go ahead and indent it as usual by a simple press of the TAB key but only by tedious banging of the space bar. Ok, one could edit stuff in another editor and post the formatted code right into the code section, but that's not how it's supposed to work, is it?

Khronos_webmaster
10-10-2012, 09:11 AM
We've just added a few new formatting options (all samples shown with spaces but must be used without spaces):

Strickthrough: found in the advanced editor and used as [ STRIKE ] Some text [ / STRIKE ]
Notes: found in the advanced editor and used as [ note ] Some text [ / note ]
Variables: found in the advanced editor and used as [ var ] Some text [ / var ]
Highlight: found in the advanced editor and used as [ HIGHLIGHT ] Some text [ / HIGHLIGHT ]

Highlight will let you choose the language you wish to set the syntax highlighting as. You simply need to choose the language in the opening tag [ HIGHLIGHT = cpp ] Some C++ code here [ / HIGHLIGHT ]

A complete list of languages is available on the Geshi website (http://qbnz.com/highlighter/)

Khronos_webmaster
10-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Is there any way the text editor can capture TAB key events and actually indent code? Can one override the default behavior of the browser once the text editor gets the focus?

The reason I ask is obvious: If you write some code from scratch to explain something you can't go ahead and indent it as usual by a simple press of the TAB key but only by tedious banging of the space bar. Ok, one could edit stuff in another editor and post the formatted code right into the code section, but that's not how it's supposed to work, is it?

Yup, that is how it's supposed to work. At least on all the forums I've been too. Changing the default behaviour of the tab on one field could also lead to those with accessibility issues, not being able to post questions anymore. As the tab is used to move from field to field.

Dark Photon
10-10-2012, 05:57 PM
We've just added a few new formatting options (all samples shown with spaces but must be used without spaces):

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Dark Photon
10-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Low priority, but would be nice if we could enable a setting or extension in VBulletin that prevents follow-ups to a thread after ~3-6 months (to stop folks from ressurrecting long-dead threads they dig out of the search engine). I notice that gamedev.net has something similar:

* http://www.gamedev.net/topic/622911-age-old-question-which-game-engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 180 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

Aleksandar
11-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Also my vote for this proposal. Old post should be locked.

thokra
12-17-2012, 02:37 AM
I just noticed that using code tags which are set in italics are completed automatically and form the following:

'['code']'I would use QT for window/input management and possibly for an ingame GUI. '['/code']' -> '['code']'I would use QT for window/input management and possibly for an ingame GUI. '['/code']['code']['/code]'

I would use QT for window/input management and possibly for an ingame GUI.

I don't know if this behavior is intended.

aqnuep
01-14-2013, 01:16 PM
I don't know how are you with it, but the new forum is horrible when it comes to showing visited threads.
I found at least these problems:
1. Posts are not always marked as read even if I read it, it seems like you have to refresh twice (or visit twice, not sure, couldn't figure out the logic) in order for the post to be marked as read.
2. Similar problem with forums.
3. If I reply to a post it marks the post unread, but when I check it, the only new thing is really my own post, which is kind of against logic.

There weren't such issues with the original forum. Does anybody else face the same issues?

Aleksandar
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
No, I don't have such problem. Neither on phone nor on desktop/laptop. On all platforms I'm using Opera or OperaMobile web browser. It is sufficient just to get a list of new topics to be marked as visited and not listed in another refresh.

Alfonse Reinheart
01-14-2013, 04:18 PM
I get problems like that. It's more that it seems like there's a lengthy delay between when you read a thread and when the forum decides you've read it. Something like several hours have to pass before a thread or forum is marked as "read" for you.

I'm using Firefox, FYI.

aqnuep
01-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Yeah, maybe I face similar issues like Alfonse, but I kind of think that "visiting twice" the same topic seems to be a workaround.

Btw, I'm using Chrome.

thokra
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
3. If I reply to a post it marks the post unread, but when I check it, the only new thing is really my own post, which is kind of against logic.

Yeah, I kinda reported something similar months ago. If you post the most recent answer in a thread, it immediately appears in "New Posts". It true that your post is new, but notifying you about it in that way doesn't make any sense.

Firefox here as well, so since we already got two implementations I guess it's nothing browser specific.

thokra
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm currently checking some posts on my Android phone. Obviously the mobile version of the Forum completely disregards code sections, even one-liners. Is that intended or am I missing something?

Dark Photon
01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm currently checking some posts on my Android phone. Obviously the mobile version of the Forum completely disregards code sections, even one-liners. Is that intended or am I missing something?

Here on my Android tablet (which also defaults to the Mobile style), I see the same problem.

Folks can compare the look of normal vs. mobile on a standard desktop (on a post with a code block) using these links:

* OpenGL Style: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/180812-glCopyImageSubData-issue?p=1247121&styleid=1
* Advanced Mobile Style: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/180812-glCopyImageSubData-issue?p=1247121&styleid=3

I just bookmark and use:

* http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/forum.php?styleid=1

which gets me straight to the normal desktop profile. That's fine for my 10.1" tablet, but probably not a phone.

thokra
01-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Using the full site, it's working as expected. I just figured if we have a mobile optimized version, it should not lose information. If you want to view a complete post on the full site, you have to slide across the page a lot if want a readable size.

EDIT: I just noticed, reading posts on the mobile site seems to not mark them as read when checking new posts using the full site again. Just did so on a desktop machine and already read posts were still marked unread.

aqnuep
01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
EDIT: I just noticed, reading posts on the mobile site seems to not mark them as read when checking new posts using the full site again. Just did so on a desktop machine and already read posts were still marked unread.
That's exactly what disturbs me the most.

thokra
01-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Not exactly the best place, but there maybe some information that might need to merged into the forum posting guidelines. For instance, code highlighting can be added to the code formatting section.

Khronos_webmaster
04-12-2013, 06:15 AM

Are you logged in when viewing the mobile site? If so, this is most likely a bug which I'll report.

Khronos_webmaster
04-12-2013, 06:19 AM
I get problems like that. It's more that it seems like there's a lengthy delay between when you read a thread and when the forum decides you've read it. Something like several hours have to pass before a thread or forum is marked as "read" for you.

I'm using Firefox, FYI.

This could be due to the way the new cache works. We are heavily caching the forums so we can keep up to the traffic. I'm going to investigate this a bit more to see if we can fix this.

Khronos_webmaster
04-12-2013, 06:41 AM
It's a bug in our mobile theme. I'm looking for the solution today.

Khronos_webmaster
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Read threads appears to work normally on mobile and desktop. Tested on Mac with Firefox and Safari and Chrome.

New Mobile theme shows the code! Removing the old mobile theme.

Let me know if you still see issues.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
cout << "Hello World!";
return 0;
}

thokra
08-30-2013, 04:58 AM
A minor thing: It's still the case that threads that were already read are being shown as new, even if you yourself posted something. Can we get around this?

thokra
12-19-2013, 02:50 AM
James, while writing an answer to the question in this (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/183422-Transforming-Rotating-an-object-without-going-weird?p=1256935&posted=1#post1256935) thread, it occurred to me that writing up formulae is very inconvenient without some support for mathematical notation. It took me forever just to express some basic linear algebra because fiddling with subscript, bold face and so on to make it more readable is very tedious and error prone.

Is it possible to have some form of help to aid mathematical notation?

Thank you!