PDA

View Full Version : nv: debug output performance messages

Chris Lux
10-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Hi,
since the ARB_debug_output extension finally reports something on nvidia drivers (r285.38) i took a closer look.

In my current project i get several of the following messages:

<source: api, type: performance, severity: medium> Program/shader state performance warning: Fragment Shader is going to be recompiled because the shader key based on GL state mismatches.
GL_CLAMP_VERTEX_COLOR_ARB is clamped.
GL_CLAMP_FRAGMENT_COLOR_ARB is clamped.
There are 0 constants bound by this program.
Program references wpos.

This was generated on a OpenGL 4.2 core context where the constants GL_CLAMP_VERTEX_COLOR_ARB and GL_CLAMP_FRAGMENT_COLOR_ARB are deprecated. I am wondering why this message is generated, why the fragment shader is recompiled and what OpenGL state is influencing this behavior?

Regards
-chris

Dan Bartlett
10-10-2011, 02:59 AM
CLAMP_VERTEX_COLOR + CLAMP_FRAGMENT_COLOR are deprecated, but if GL_ARB_color_buffer_float (http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/color_buffer_float.txt) is available, then it will still be valid to use GL_CLAMP_VERTEX_COLOR_ARB + GL_CLAMP_FRAGMENT_COLOR_ARB.

You can control whether colors are clamped to the range 0.0 to 1.0 using:

glClampColorARB(GL_CLAMP_VERTEX_COLOR_ARB/GL_CLAMP_FRAGMENT_COLOR_ARB , GL_TRUE/GL_FALSE/GL_FIXED_ONLY_ARB);

The initial values are GL_TRUE for GL_CLAMP_VERTEX_COLOR_ARB, and GL_FIXED_ONLY_ARB for GL_CLAMP_FRAGMENT_COLOR_ARB. GL_FIXED_ONLY_ARB applies clamping only to fixed point color buffers.

Why you get the performance warning I'm not sure. Are you writing to a fixed point, or floating point color buffer? maybe try:

glClampColorARB(GL_CLAMP_FRAGMENT_COLOR_ARB, GL_FALSE);

or if they have the wrong initial value for GL_CLAMP_FRAGMENT_COLOR_ARB, then this could work:

glClampColorARB(GL_CLAMP_FRAGMENT_COLOR_ARB, GL_FIXED_ONLY_ARB);

If it told you how to fix it, or the value expected, it would be more helpful.

Chris Lux
10-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the answer Dan.

This might be a problem when this extension is interfering with the core profile context behavior, even if it is not hindering functionality but performance. Why are the shaders compiled against a state that only can exist in compatibility profile contexts (glClampColor)?

Dan Bartlett
10-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Just because it's removed from the core profile doesn't mean that an extension can't add it back to the core profile - which it does if GL_ARB_color_buffer_float is supported.

Maybe there should be a way to specify to OpenGL at context creation time which extensions are desired/not wanted. It could perhaps boost performance too, if the implementation knows that half the functionality(+enums) provided by the various extensions are never going to be used.