A glfont that is not Windows dependent

Does anyone know a simple way to print text using OpenGl that is not Windows dependent? I tried using glfont2, but I can’t get it to work. :frowning: What are the options?

Store your characters or even complete text in a premade texture. Render some polygons and texture them.

That’s what I was afraid of. . .

Does anyone have a working glf file, like say “timesnewroman.glf” I can try? I’d like to minimize variables in order to figure out why glfont2 doesn’t work. I really don’t want to reinvent the wheel here. :frowning:

Does anyone know a simple way to print text using OpenGl that is not Windows dependent?

You’re going to have to be dependent on something. The only way to be entirely self-sufficient is to package up your own fonts. Otherwise, you’re going to have to touch the OS’s list of fonts.

There are some libraries online that handle font rendering, but most of them are not being updated. So the options generally boil down to either using an old library or using FreeType2 yourself and writing some code.

Fonts by their nature are OS dependent. The same font at the same size on different operating systems will look different; sometimes it’s subtle, sometimes it’s not. The only real way to get the same result all the time is to roll your own with textured quads I’m afraid.

Rats. :frowning: Based on what I can tell, that is what glfont2 does.
Has anyone been able to get glfont2 to work? I really don’t want to recode the entire thing.