OpenGL 2.1+ with Intel 965

Hello OpenGL gurus,

I’ve got a Windows XP SP2 laptop here with an onboard Intel 965 Mobility. According to Intel’s website, the chip supports up to OpenGL 1.5 ( source: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intelg965/sb/CS-023713.htm ) According to a little proggie called ‘GPU Caps Viewer’ ( http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/index.php ) my driver supports OpenGL 2.0 ( and indeed, some 2.0 and even 2.1 examples run on the laptop , albeit slowly )

Now, I’ve got a silly program here that insists it needs support for OpenGL 2.1+ in order to function. I don’t care how fast it runs, as long as it does.

Any chance to fool the silly program into obedience? Like, for example, installing software-based OpenGL 2.1+ library that would report to the program that OpenGL2.1+ is supported and let it run ( slowly :slight_smile: ?

If you can get or compile mesa GL dll it would allow to support all that even is slowly (on the CPU only).

What kind of program is that ?

It is a simulator of a Blackberry smartphone. In a Blackberry dev support forum they tell me I need OpenGL 2.1+ in the OS to run 3D code inside the simulator.

Do I need to compile Mesa myself or I can download precompiled binaries from somewhere?

Are you really sure you don’t care about the speed? :wink:
I remember (I tried it several years ago) that CPU based execution was several orders of magnitude slower than GPU based. In other words, instead of fluent animation you cannot get even a slide-show.

If the program requires GL 2.1, it probably have a good reason for that. So, don’t try to fool it. For example, it might require PBO or non-quadratic matrices that are not supported in GL 2.0.

With the low res of a blackberry and a modern CPU it should be faster than a slide show :slight_smile:

And it seems you have to build the .dll yourself for Windows, be warned this is not trivial.

The simulator itself does not depend on 3D. You need 3D only if you need to run OpenGL ES apps in it. I am porting a simple game ( something like 300 triangles ) from Android. The Android simulator can run it just fine with its software-based OpenGL ES library, ditto for the Nokia simulators. So it should be more or less fine in the Blackberry sim , too.

Anyway, I am mainly working on a desktop where everything works just fine. The laptop is for brief debugging sessions only.