PDA

View Full Version : Depth texture use.

DZ4__
07-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to implement a cross-platform shadowmap DirectX10/OpenGL.

When I'm fetching the same depth texture within the same conditions I get Z values near to 0.5f for objects near to the camera with OpenGL while they are closed to 0.1f with DirectX version. I have verified all other computations. All results are identical but the value returned by the texture lookup. (Of course I've verified the computed UV is correct as the y coordinate for a render target is not the same for Dx10 and OGL)

For information, my Z-texture is a 32 bits one, I've ensured the GL_TEXTURE_COMPARE_MODE is set to GL_NONE and tried to set the GL_DEPTH_TEXTURE_MODE to GL_INTENSITY. But now I really don't know what could give me these bad values.

Thanks for help...

_arts_
07-18-2011, 06:34 AM
You ensured the near value of your frustum is the same for both GL and D3D ?

DZ4__
07-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Hi.

Yes, projection matrices, viewports etc... are the same.

I've noticed that with OpenGL all values seems to be between 0.5f and 1.f instead of [0.f-1.f].
So I've tested in the shader a value = (value-0.5f) * 2.f; just to see..... And then it works correctly alike DirectX version.

This sounds like a big workaround-hack, but I really cannot explain why my range is wrong (there is no glDepthRange restriction).

If someone have an idea about that...

Alfonse Reinheart
07-19-2011, 12:29 AM

Your projection matrices should not be the same. D3D has a different definition of "clip-space" from OpenGL's. So your projection matrix needs to be specific to the API in question. It's a fairly simple matter, but an important one.

That may be why it's getting half the range.

DZ4__
07-19-2011, 03:33 AM

Your projection matrices should not be the same. D3D has a different definition of "clip-space" from OpenGL's. So your projection matrix needs to be specific to the API in question. It's a fairly simple matter, but an important one.

That may be why it's getting half the range.

Hum...that's strange as I never noticed any other cross-platform rendering problem while keeping the same projection matrices...
Could you explain me the differences of clip-space interpretation please ?

DZ4__
07-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Ok, I've found the differences on this article extracted from CG Tutorial book : http://http.developer.nvidia.com/CgTutorial/cg_tutorial_chapter04.html

You were right, OpenGL normalized device coordinates after perspective divide are between -1 and 1 on Z-axis while DirectX ones are between 0 and 1. So I have to change the projection matrix according this.

Thanks for help.