Pointer Error in GLUT

I’m not sure if I should have posted this in the forum for GLUT, but since this is probably a basic beginner question, I posted here instead.

I was using OpenGL and Freeglut with Visual Express C++ 2010 to program Pong. Several days ago, I made some minor edit (I can’t remember what this edit was, to be honest, since I only compiled the code the next morning). When I did, however, I received this runtime error on the line glutDisplayFunc:

Unhandled exception at 0x1000bbae in Pong.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x000000a8.

I messed with my code and checked my pointers, but nothing was out of the ordinary. I decided to create a new project, and even in the new project, I had this same error. I removed all unnecessary code and found that something this simple (code posted below) caused the error I was experiencing. (I am aware that this code will probably not work due to the lack of many necessary parts, but at the moment, I am only interested in solving the particular issue, so I have eliminated as much as I can for simplicity’s sake.)

This leads me to believe that I may have installed Freeglut incorrectly, or something like that. I hope somebody can help me solve this frustrating issue. Thanks in advance!

Code:

#include <gl/freeglut.h>

using namespace std;

void mainDraw() {
}

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    //Initialize GLUT
    //glutInit(&argc, argv);
    //glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DEPTH);
    //glutInitWindowSize(windowwidth, windowheight);

//initSetup(); //Initialize rendering
         glutDisplayFunc(mainDraw);
        //glutKeyboardFunc(handleKeypress);
	//glutKeyboardUpFunc(handleKeyup);
	//glutSpecialFunc(handleSpecial);
	//glutSpecialUpFunc(handleSpecialUp);
        //glutReshapeFunc(handleResize);
	//glutTimerFunc(25, update, 0);

//glutMainLoop();
    return 0;
}

By the way, this error still appears when any of the glut event functions (glutDisplayFunc, glutKeyboardFunc, etc.) are uncommented, not just glutDisplayFunc.

Why did you comment out the FreeGLUT initialization routines? You cannot call glutDisplayFunc unless FreeGLUT has been initialized.

Also, you seem to be using Visual Studio, so why not simply build FreeGLUT in debug mode and debug into it to see what line you’re having problems with?