Interactive Parts Model - Noob

Hi there,

In Short:
Need a 3D modeling user interface that allows the user to blow apart an assembly of parts OR display the blown apart versions of all the constituent parts. And when clicked on information is displayed on the particular part. The user will not have to edit the parts or modify them.

The English: :slight_smile:
I’ve started the project with some c++ code, and at the moment am working with jpg’s as my example models, but now need to implement an interactive model of detailed parts. I have never touched on coding 3D applications. I’m just looking for some general direction from the community here and would really appreciate some honest opinions.

As I understand it, OpenGL is a rendering environment, but can I also build a user interface on it? I understand I’d have to use something else to first create the models, but then can I interact with that model? Or am i barking up the wrong tree? I’ve been working with solid edge to get a feel for how such an environment works, and would love to display my model in such an environment, without all the editing capability.

Am i waisting my time with something as advanced as OpenGL or is it worth while pursueing?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question and I’d appreciate any comments and opinions.

Thanks,

Rudolf

As I understand it, OpenGL is a rendering environment, but can I also build a user interface on it?

OpenGL draws stuff. To the extent that building a user interface requires the ability to draw stuff, OpenGL can help you. OpenGL will not help you with window management, getting input data (mouse/keyboard), message processing, or anything other than building a user interface.