how to create terrains using fractals?

Hello everyone!

I am trying to create a 3D landscape using fractals. It doesnt have to be a really graphical looking landscape. Just a landscape that has various heights throughout the place like you would see on a normal landscape (some mountain like surfaces here and there). I have to use fractals. So far I have come across some sites (eg http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Stu/jseyster/plasma/) to help me out. However, I do not know how to really get started in doing this using OpenGL.

I have read chapters 1-3 in OpenGL and done about 6 of the nehe lessons. Any help in guiding me would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to know how to get started or what to read up on in OpenGL in order to implement this.

In order to do this, you need to know two things:

1: How to render meshes with OpenGL. This should include discussions of lighting, vertex colors, and whatever else you want in your landscape.

2: How to use fractal algorithms to generate meshes, which you will then render with OpenGL.

You need to do these things in order. Once you understand how to draw stuff in OpenGL, then you can use that knowledge to figure out how to generate a mesh that you will render.