PDA

View Full Version : PerfHUD for opengl

mobeen
04-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi all,
I have searched this forum as well as the internet but could not find an answer so I m asking here. All of us know the powerful nvidia perfHUD for directx apps. Is there anything similar for opengl? I only see perfkit which allows u to get the counters for instrumented drivers but nothing graphical in it. gDebugger and glslDevil are some other tools that I use often but these exist as good standalone alternates that do not show things as perfHUD does right on top of the app. Are u aware of any project which is doing this? Is anyone working on this?

Aleksandar
04-13-2011, 02:34 AM
I've been talking about this problem for a long time.
OpenGL is a second-order citizen, obviously.
You might try NVIDIA Parallel Nsight, but... :(
There are too many buts.

mobeen
04-13-2011, 02:55 AM
You might try NVIDIA Parallel Nsight,
Correct me if i am wrong. Isn't NSIGHT primarily for debugging of CUDA apps and does shader stuff for directx using PIX?

Aleksandar
04-13-2011, 03:40 AM
I didn't try it, because it requires two separate machines for debugging, but according to the documentation Parallel Nsight Debugger enables debugging all HLSL shader types: Vertex, Pixel, Geometry, and Tessellation, while Parallel Nsight Graphics Inspector captures frames, automatically identifies bottlenecks, and shows all operations that affected a given pixel. Unfortunately, I think that all this works only with D3D. :(

Ah, yes, there are differences between Standard and Professional edition. OpenGL is mentioned just in Pro Ed. I'll install Standard edition and check what can be done there.

Mikkel Gjoel
04-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Your best bet for performance profiling currently is either gDebugger ( http://www.gremedy.com/download.php ), or rolling your own using timer-queries.

Nvidia's NSIGHT does show you the time each draw-call takes, and a visualisation of this, which is great. It doesn't actually tell you what parts are slow, or why, and it is a bit hard to get a good overview from it.

AMD has GPU perf studio 2 ( http://developer.amd.com/gpu/PerfStudio/Pages/default.aspx ), which is pretty good for frame-debugging, though is still missing proper support for FBOs (and a number of other features).

Aleksandar
04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Nvidia's NSIGHT does show you the time each draw-call takes, and a visualisation of this, which is great. It doesn't actually tell you what parts are slow, or why, and it is a bit hard to get a good overview from it.
Yeah! Unfortunately, NSight Std.Ed. enables only OpenGL API trace information correlated with other GPU and CPU events. Very very poor. :(
I would delete OpenGL from the list of supported APIs.