PDA

View Full Version : Querying the number of polygons being passed

Mukund
03-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Hello Everyone,

i was wondering if there is any way to find the number of polygons being passed to the system, without doing it manually.

What i mean is, i just wanted to see the number of polygons being
passed without occlusion culling and after enabling it. i tried the GL Intercept tool, but without much help.

Can anyone please suggest some tools/methods to do this?
Thanks in advance.

Alfonse Reinheart
03-03-2011, 10:14 PM
What i mean is, i just wanted to see the number of polygons being passed without occlusion culling and after enabling it.

Occlusion culling does not cull triangles. It culls fragments.

Mukund
03-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Alfonse Reinheart.

Well is it possible to check the view frustum culled objects? i looked into an example in this website, which does it manually. Are there any tools for doing such queries?

Alfonse Reinheart
03-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Well is it possible to check the view frustum culled objects?

You assume the driver is doing view frustum culling. That's usually a waste of the hardware's time; most hardware just discards any fragments generated that fall outside of the viewport. Whether it's just pieces of triangles or whole triangles.

mbentrup
03-04-2011, 01:32 AM
You can check the number of clipped and culled primitives on AMD hardware with the GPU PerfStudio and I guess you can also query these counters via the GL_AMD_performance_monitor extension, but AMD never documented the counters available for that extension.

I assume NVidia provides similar counters in their debugging/profiling tools.

Mukund
03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the replies.