PDA

View Full Version : Reading Depth32F Stencil8 combined buffer in shade

AvCol
01-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi all.

I have set up a frame buffer object for deferred rendering like so:

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, gNormal);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB16F, wWidth, wHeight, 0, GL_RGB, GL_FLOAT, NULL);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, gAlbedo);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA8, wWidth, wHeight, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT, NULL);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, gMaterial);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA8, wWidth, wHeight, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT, NULL);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, gDepth);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH32F_STENCIL8, wWidth, wHeight, 0, GL_DEPTH_STENCIL, GL_FLOAT_32_UNSIGNED_INT_24_8_REV, NULL);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, cRadiance);

glBindFramebuffer(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER, gBuffer);
glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_2D, gNormal, 0);
glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT1, GL_TEXTURE_2D, gAlbedo, 0);
glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT2, GL_TEXTURE_2D, gMaterial, 0);
glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_ATTACHMENT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, gDepth, 0);

Just recently I switched from GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8 due to inaccuracy issues. In my fragment shader I calculate the eye space position of a surface using the following code:

float x = (texCoords.x * 2.0f) - 1.0f;
float y = (texCoords.y * 2.0f) - 1.0f;
float z = (texture(gDepth, texCoords).s * 2.0) - 1.0f;
vec4 buff = invProj * vec4(x, y, z, 1.0f);
sPos = buff.xyz / buff.w;

Prior to changing from GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8 this would work perfectly. However, ever since the change to GL_DEPTH32F_STENCIL8, the look up texture(gDepth, texCoords).s spews out garbage.

What should I be doing instead of texture(gDepth, texCoords).s?

Did I specify the wrong type or internal format for the attatched depth texture?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dark Photon
01-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Prior to changing from GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8 this would work perfectly. However, ever since the change to GL_DEPTH32F_STENCIL8, the look up texture(gDepth, texCoords).s spews out garbage.
What GPU and driver? Sounds like incorrect behavior to me.

And what GL version? I'd assume we're talking GL 3.0+.

AvCol
01-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I am working with an ATI Radeon 5850 with Catalyst 10.12 and yes GL 3.3+

I should add that using just GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32F does not have any problems. It seems that the 32F_STENCIL8 format and that format alone causes trouble.

Since it is an odd format (64 bits in total) is there anything special I have to do to work with it?

ZbuffeR
01-23-2011, 02:26 AM
it is an odd format (64 bits in total)
You mean 40 right ?

Anyway, nothing special to do, unless a bug ...

AvCol
01-23-2011, 05:54 AM
It turns out I can reproduce the bug using GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8, the difference was that I was clearing that buffer between passes in the one case and not when using 32F_STENCIL8. Bad scientific method on my part. So anyway I pinpointed the bug to combined depth stencil textures being corrupted after a read which is apparently a common problem on AMD cards as I found people complaining about it on the AMD forums, gamedev and here as well.

Bummer :(

I have access to a quadro fx whatever so tomorrow I will test how things work on nvidia to know for certain and might buy a new card.

AvCol
01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
UPDATE:

Reconstructing position by reading the depth from a combined depth stencil format as a texture works as expected with nvidia, however the above described problem (corruption) ocurrs with AMD.

I can confirm that this error persists with today's release of display drivers.

Aside from that congratulations to AMD and their engineers for their new driver release.

Pierre Boudier
02-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Avcol,

would you mind sending us a test case ? we have not been able to reproduce the issue above.

thanks,