Stereoscopic Projection

Hello Everyone,

Well this is a little off-topic. Kindly excuse me for that. i needed some suggestions regarding the hardware used in producing stereoscopic images.

i googled a little and found the following, To get the best stereoscopic effect,

1. 120Hz projector or monitor.
  2. 3D goggles.(LCD shutter glasses)

So, we basically display two images, displaced by a little distance and thereby producing the 3D effect. im doing this in a glut window.

So, if anyone has tried another method(say using 2 60Hz displays) or any other way, your suggestions would be really helpful. im having some trouble getting the necessary hardware. So, i would be really grateful if anyone could let me know if they have used a better(in terms of cost) method.

Thanks.

best in terms of cost : red-cyan anaglyph. no kidding, ‘glasses’ can be found virtually everywhere for free or cheap. no need for any special hardware. Some say green-magenta works better, but harder to find glasses.

better quality, quite cheap if you already have a dual screen card : the mirror trick http://www.crystalcanyons.net/abouts/3dc9_DualMonitorComplete.shtm however movement is constrained (neck-ache happens quite fast)

best quality and fewest constraints : active shutter system as you describe above. Be aware that you need a professional line video card to have quad buffered stereo (QBS) support with opengl. Consumer crap such as Nvision3D will not work properly with OpenGL. Common problems are screen delay can be very different depending on the LCD screen, so try to chose a system where shutter delay can be tuned.

Be aware that you need a professional line video card to have quad buffered stereo (QBS) support with opengl. Consumer crap such as Nvision3D will not work properly with OpenGL.

Do note that QBS could work if NVIDIA just flipped the switch in their drivers to allow them to work. Not that ATI is any better with their solution.

Both of them seem to be waiting for DX12 to force QBS support. Microsoft to the rescue…

@Zbuffer, Alfonse Reinheart

Thanks a lot for the replies.

@Zbuffer
The link you had posted looked really interesting. But this was for a multi-user(viewer) environment, so i doubt if i can use it.

we used to use dual projectors + polarised filters + glasses
Great setup, if you got money to burn.

Thanks for the reply dukey.