FBO=>PBO transfer, glMapBuffer is impossibly slow

Hi, happy new year 2011!

I write OpenGL application (MS Windows, for now). I sometimes need to read data from frame buffer object (FBO - GL_BGRA, 32x32 pixels, every 200 ms.). But glMapBuffer blocks application approx for 60-100 miliseconds! Before writing this post, I have read great many forums, websites etc…without success.

here is proces of rendering:

1. bind FBO
  2. render to FBO
  3. bind PBO
  4. glReadPixels(0, 0, m_Width, m_Height, GL_BGRA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL); // this works fine, no blocking, async reading starts ok…
  5. unbind PBO
  6. unbind FBO

Then I render some other things and wait several frames (1, 2 and 3 frame waiting tested).

And finally I read from PBO data:

1. bind PBO
    2) glMapBufferARB(GL_PIXEL_PACK_BUFFER_ARB, GL_READ_ONLY_ARB)
  2. …doing something with data
  3. unmap buffer

(2) blocks application about 100 miliseconds. Without reading data from FBO, application is quite fast… < 20 msec. BUT! When I disable some features related to FBO - shadow mapping for example - step (2) lasts about 40-60 msec, that is fewer, but still lot for 32x32 px texture.

I have AMD Opteron 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, ATI X1600 with leatest drivers, Windows XP SP3.
Notice, that FBOs are strange on this graphic card, or is strange my code…when I use FBOs (3 full-screen for example), explorer.exe eats processor time (~10%), which causes performance peaks, when I kill explorer.exe, everything is ok.

Do you have any idea…?

thank You

I have AMD Opteron 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, ATI X1600 with leatest drivers, Windows XP SP3.

I think the issue is NOT your code, but the ancient ATI X1600, that card came out in Oct 2005, now 5 years ago… that chip’s drivers are “legacy display drivers”, I highly suspect that such drivers are not, err, at the top of the list for love from ATI/AMD. Having dealt with some ATI Mobility Xxxxx cards myself, I was horribly underwhelmed by their GL (however new ATI cards: read 4xxx and 5xxx) have much better GL support.

As an alternative, you can try glGetBufferSubData to read the values (since you are mapping with GL_READ_ONLY_ARB), but I would not get one’s hopes up too much.

Another desperate idea: do NOT wait several frames before reading the buffer data, rather read the buffer data just after unbinding the FBO… this is a desperation measure (and I highly suspect it won’t help, but it cannot hurt to try).

BUT! When I disable some features related to FBO - shadow mapping for example - step (2) lasts about 40-60 msec, that is fewer, but still lot for 32x32 px texture.

How big is the buffer object (i.e PBO)? [i.e. how many bytes do you make it when you first call glBufferData?]… glMapBufferARB has to map the entire buffer object… and since you are asking for read back access… if the range is huge, it could get ugly underneath.

Thank You for reply, I will try test my application on other machines. Maybe, is this “new render style” with lot of screen space oprerations, FBOs, etc…too heavy load for ATI X1600 :slight_smile: