Computing screen coordinates oddities

I would like to have access to the fragment’s screen position from inside the fragment shader. I assumed I’d be able to take the clip space X/Y in the vertex shader and divide by the W to get a nice clean X/Y from -1 to 1. But this, err, doesn’t seem to work. It’s all distorted, clearly clinging to the shapes somewhat. But for some reason it works if I do the W divide in the fragment. I don’t fancy wasting a lot of cycles (this is multiple additive passes) doing what could be interpolated if I can help it, any ideas why this works the way it does.

(Fragment version)

vec4 v4TransformMe = m4Transform * vec4( ( v3VertexIn * fFalloff ) + v3Position, 1.0 );

v3TexCoordOut = vec3( v4TransformMe.xy, v4TransformMe.w );

gl_Position = v4TransformMe;
v3TexCoordOut.xy / v3TexCoordOut.z

(Vertex interpolated version)

vec4 v4TransformMe = m4Transform * vec4( ( v3VertexIn * fFalloff ) + v3Position, 1.0 );

v3TexCoordOut = v4TransformMe.xy / v4TransformMe.w;

gl_Position = v4TransformMe;

(the nasty scale and position in the vertex shader is being replaced with a properly built matrix as soon as this is sorted, I swear ;])

I realise that depth is nonlinear, but I assumed that even so it’s done on a vertex level and interpolated via fragment… is this not the case?

Check this out. They all say the same thing in different ways.

I see, thanks! I do recall that graphical artifact occurring on a number of Playstation games.

gl_FragCoord is a built in GLSL read only variable to get the position of the fragment from within a fragment shader, been there since atleast GLSL 1.1, i.e. OpenGL 2.0. Also available in GLSL of OpenGL ES2.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.