Intel Laptops

Which of Intel built-in graphics chips has full reliable support of OpenGL 2.1? I assume Intel already supports Direct3D 9c and it works just fantastic.

“reliable”? I would say none.

Intel even have a good Direct3D 10 support. Saying that it’s fantastic is maybe a bit excessive.

Things will improve. OpenGL 3.0 is coming from Intel.

Since when OpenGL 3.0 is an Intel thing? Oo
Intel doesn’t care at all about OpenGL

See: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=285153#Post285153

That doesn’t guarantee it will be a conformant OpenGL implementation. Merely that it will exist.

The Intel 965 reports a GL_VERSION of 2.0 and the 4 series reports 2.1; that doesn’t mean that they’re reliable, merely that they work in most cases. I’ve personally run GLSL and VBO code on both and gotten decent enough performance considering, but a general rule of mine with these chips is that if you can’t do it in D3D then you shouldn’t attempt it in OpenGL. This means that you need to use 4-component BGRA formats all the way, don’t write to the front buffer, etc.

Personally if I knew I was going to be targetting one of these, and knew that cross-platform wasn’t going to be an issue, I’d just use D3D instead.

The Intel 965 reports a GL_VERSION of 2.0 and the 4 series reports 2.1; that doesn’t mean that they’re reliable, merely that they work in most cases.

Returning a driver version doesn’t mean that it “works in most cases.”

Absolutely correct (even if it does make a mockery of the conformance testing process). My own experience of them however is that they do actually work in most cases.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.