Assuming the Superbible is broken, What then?

So… from my other post, assuming the Superbible is broken (or broken for windows … or for win7/64), what then?

There are lots of tutorials around, but many of them seem geared for IDEs other than VS2008 and/or windows. While I can appreciate using other operating systems (I’m responsible for dozens of FreeBSD servers) things like FalloutNV keep my desktop on windows (for now) and solutions like virtualization add extra chance for breakage where OpenGL is involved.

My question is: for a reasonably experienced C/C++ developer with a capable windows desktop (win7/64, nVidia 275), which of the available introductions to OpenGL are most appropriate (and further, have examples that work).

Equally, is there replacements for either GLEW or GLUT that will make the Superbible examples work better on windows?

Quite nice tutorials :
http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/

With its code hidden here, said to work with VS2008 :
http://bitbucket.org/alfonse/gltut/downloads

So I grab those files and I go to that site. The files have .lua scripts with no explanation how I would use them. Most importantly, the website documentation makes reference to VC project files — and I cannot find any. I’m aware of the language Lua, but I don’t know where to get the right version and this site doesn’t tell me.

Forgive me. I don’t want to be a complete “user” … but I’d like a relatively complete “hello world” in OpenGL that I can compile with VS 2008 Express and I’d further like a tutorial that explains OpenGL basics while giving enough guidance to make those basics work with VS.

Does reading http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/Building%20the%20Tutorials.html, specifically the section ‘Necessary Utilities’ help?

Well that proved to be an adventure, too. So far, FreeGLUT seemed to build the FreeImage required cygwin’s /usr/include/win32api directory to be in VS2008’s include path to get afxres.h — I don’t know if this is the “right” version of the file (cygwin shouldn’t be related to these things), but it does make it compile.

FreeImage required cygwin’s /usr/include/win32api directory to be in VS2008’s include path to get afxres.h — I don’t know if this is the “right” version of the file (cygwin shouldn’t be related to these things), but it does make it compile.

In my install of VS2008, “afxres.h” is found in the VC/atlmfc directory. Now I have VS2008 Pro, SP1. If you’re using the Express Edition, you may need to install the platform SDK. If that works, let me know and I’ll update the docs to mention this.

Platform SDK? Not sure what the platform SDK is, but I am using the express edition.

I’ve hit another snag. When I compile the tut01 example, it expects tinyxml_pmD.lib. When I generate both the release and debug versions of tinyxml, it doesn’t produce this file. It also expects this to be in … inyxml\lib … which doesn’t exist.

So I created lib and copied tinyxmld.lib into that directory as tinyxml_pmD.lib. That led to 2 big unresolved external symbols… so I’d appreciate a further pointer on generating tinyxml_pmD.lib

Platform SDK? Not sure what the platform SDK is, but I am using the express edition.

The Microsoft Windows Platform SDK. It contains Win32, MFC, ATL, etc. It’s used for building Windows programs. There were versions of the Express Editions that didn’t come with things like MFC and so forth, so downloading the Platform SDK and installing it (so that VS can see it) are part of setting up your development environment.

When I generate both the release and debug versions of tinyxml, it doesn’t produce this file.

Did you build TinyXML exactly as the instructions stated, using Premake4 instead of the tinyxml.sln file in the directory?

OK. success for once. The SDK is required and I did miss the instruction point on tinyxml.