new JOGL doesn't have same features...

hello,

a very long time ago i created an openGL game using JOGL .
i wanted to get back and re-learn JOGL, and discovered that things have changed ever since, and there is a new version (i think its numbered 2) .
i’ve installed it correctly (i think) using this tutorial and now eclipse can run a JOGL application (it works and can show triangles etc…) .
i’m having some problems with it and i hope that anyone here could help me:
1.from some reason though , i can’t find some constants that were available in the previews versions - not only eclipse doesn’t offer them, but even when i write them, they cannot be compiled .
examples for such constants: GL.GL_POLYGON,GL.GL_POLYGON,GL.GL_QUADS
2.it seems that for glVertex2f , 0,0 (for 2d mode) is actually in the middle . is it really true? it’s quite confusing… it was confusing enough to think that the bottom( and not upper) left corner is the 0,0 point, but now it was changed to this??? i think that the textures coordinates have also changed and are now more intuitive - 0,0 is the top left , 1,0 is top right , etc… , just like in any other GUI “engine” .
3.i remember that i had problems last time of getting light+textures for my 3d models , and even putting simple 2d pictures/text on the screen . is it any easier now than it was before? is there a proper guide for such things?
4.a little off the topic:i wonder:is joGL(or openGL) the only solution to create 2d animations using the GPU ? does AWT/SWT/SWING use the GPU at all ? maybe for some cases, it’s better to use them ?

if needed , attached my current code, which doesn’t do much . it just draws a 2d picture on the window using JOGL (using triangles) , and also captures mouse clicks and writes them into the console.

please help me.
i still consider myself as a newb when talking about openGL .

1. moved to GL2.GL_POLYGON, GL2.GL_QUADS
  2. coodinate 0,0 depends on your projection matrix. You can have it where you want it. Texture coordinates 0,0 is still bottom/left.
  3. probably not. You can write shaders now, so you have complete control over your materials.
  4. swing has GPU acceleration of some primitives. Mostly through DirectX.

1.really? wonder why they did it. do you know of any other changes? maybe a “what’s new” section for JOGL 2 ? i also wonder if there are any new tutorials that use this version.
2.i see. it’s still confusing me a lot .
3.did they at least add a physics engine? it could worth a lot of coding time and have a more standard way to handle many cases. in so many cases, i need to use google to find a solution , but i always find a specific solution to a specific problem, and therefore i need to adjust the code and also look even more on websites.
4.i see .

btw, i’m quite new to this forum. i can’t find how to notify me be email of new posts. i’ve found how to notify of the watch list, but how can i add a new thread that i make (for example) to the watch list by default?