VBO issues

Feeling like a total noob thanks to OpenGL’s VBOs. I’ve been in DirectX land for the last 8 years, and I’m in the middle of writing an OpenGL implementation for my rendering abstraction layer.

Everything has gone fairly smoothly except for implementing VBOs. For whatever reason, my shader isn’t operating on vertex attributes as it should. I’ve tested the shaders in RenderMonkey and have inspected the VBOs with gDEBugger to make sure they’re all valid. And, to further top it off, I’ve tried rendering some fake data in immediate mode and looking at the results against a comparable fake data VBO. The immediate mode works whilst the VBO fails to render.

Ignoring the fact that this code creates and deletes a VBO each frame, this encapsulates my problem:

static bool bImmediate = false;

if (bImmediate)
  {
    glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
      glColor4f(1.f, 0.f, 0.f, 1.f);
      glVertex3f(-.5f, -.5f, 1.f);
      glColor4f(0.f, 1.f, 0.f, 1.f);
      glVertex3f(.5f, -.5f, 1.f);
      glColor4f(0.f, 0.f, 1.f, 1.f);
      glVertex3f(-.5f, .5f, 1.f);
      glColor4f(0.f, 1.f, 1.f, 1.f);
      glVertex3f(.5f, .5f, 1.f);
    glEnd();
  }
  else
  {
    float vertexData[28] =
    {
      -.5f, .5f,  1.f, 1.f, 0.f, 0.f, 1.f,
      .5f,  .5f,  1.f, 0.f, 1.f, 0.f, 1.f,
      -.5f, -.5f, 1.f, 0.f, 0.f, 1.f, 1.f,
      .5f,  -.5f, 1.f, 0.f, 1.f, 1.f, 1.f,
    };

uint32 buffer;
    glGenBuffers(1, &buffer);
    int stride = 7 * sizeof(float);
    glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, buffer);
    glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 4 * stride, vertexData, GL_STATIC_DRAW);

int32 location = glGetAttribLocation(program, "POSITION0");
    glEnableVertexAttribArray(location);
    glVertexAttribPointer(location, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, stride, 0);

location = glGetAttribLocation(program, "COLOR0");
    glEnableVertexAttribArray(location);
    glVertexAttribPointer(location, 4, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, stride, (void*) (3 * sizeof(GLfloat)));

glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, 0, 2);

glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);

glDeleteBuffers(1, &buffer);

}

The layout of my vertex data there is 3 floats for position and 4 floats for color. The shader defines attributes POSITION0 as a vec3 and COLOR0 as a vec4. The shader simply multiplies by a matrix uniform that represents a model -> world -> projection transform.

I really have no idea what I’m doing wrong. Any pointers?

There is no way that your immediate mode rendering can use the same program object as your buffer object based rendering.

glVertex and glColor are designed to go to specific pre-defined vertex attributes in your shader. Namely, gl_Position and gl_Color. You cannot query the location of these attributes, because they do not have a color. If you are using user-defined vertex attributes in your shader, then these functions will not work; you would need to use glVertexAttrib instead.

From here on, I’ll assume that you’re using the same program for both. That means your glGetAttribLocation should be returning -1, and glEnableVertexAttribArray should be giving rise to a glError.

When using pre-defined vertex attributes like gl_Position and gl_Color, you can’t use glVertexAttribPointer. Instead, you use glVertexPointer to define the gl_Position attribute, and glColorPointer to define the gl_Color attribute.

glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, 0, 2);

You are asking to draw a triangle strip using the first two elements in each enabled array. Replacing 2 with 4 should at least make sure all the data in the buffer is used.

Yep, I’m aware of that. The reason the shader’s working on immediate mode is because it’s using the default NVidia bindings, so the first declared attribute in the shader (“POSITION0”) matches up to the generic position attribute at the driver level. Hence, immediate mode works. I was originally using the generics, but cross-compatability with my HLSL shaders (currently converting using Hlsl2Glsl) won out over trying to make everything work according to generics.

Aaaaaaah, there’s the problem. Slight case of not reading the doco correctly. I was specifying the number of primitives to draw instead of the number of indices to process. I definitely feel like a noob here.

Thank you both for the quick replies.