OpenGL in Web

Hi,

I'm a beginner of the OpenGL. Since I will do a simple project related to some simple 3D objects such as box and cube. And this project will be implemented in website using C#.net and ASP.net.

Is it possible for me to write a website using OpenGL to generate some simple 3D objects?

Thanks for your help.

Sure. WebGL. See this thread for tips and links. Though you have to run a prebuilt prerelease browser (either Chrome or Firefox). Just for fun, pull Chrome and run the web GL demos.

Does IE support WebGL?

Does IE support WebGL?

You’re kidding, right? :wink: They’re only now getting SVG support in IE9.

No, IE does not support WebGL. And there’s every chance it never will.

Firefox 4 beta supports WebGL, so no need for prerelease version anymore.

Firefox 4 beta supports WebGL, so no need for prerelease version anymore.

Um, the beta is a prerelease version.

Oh, well, to me pre-release is alpha or a nightly build and beta is almost-release. I thought you had the nightly build in mind.

Thanks.

I would like to know one more thing.

I want to model some simple 3D objects in c#.net and asp.net. How can I control the 3D objects? I find some examples in web that the webgl is programmed in javascript. Is it possible to code it in c#.net and do some control such as rotation based on the cursor movement?

Is it possible to code it in c#.net and do some control such as rotation based on the cursor movement?

I’m fairly sure you can access Direct3D via a Silverlight plugin.

No, Alfonse, I think you are wrong (but sorry in advance if you aren’t). Silverlight features a so-called perspective 3D, allowing you to transform 2D screen elements (much like flash can) and so-called pixel shaders. The failure of M$ to include true 3D functionality into Silverlight makes Firefox and WebGL even more exciting.

Does it mean I can code it in c#.net and do some control such as rotation based on the cursor movement?

You can do it, but it won’t be close to what you need to do in Direct3D.