Mobile Intel 965 express chipset family

Hi guys,
I recently started learning Photoshop CS5 and I am encountered with a problem which is directly related to openGL.
I have an Acer laptop and it’s not so great but it has Mobile Intel 965 express chipset family graphic card (to be more exact: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x3100).
I know that that’s not a great graphic card but after some googling I found that openGL is supported by this graphic card at this link: http://www.intel.com/technology/graphics/gma.htm
It’s actually written that my graphic card supports openGL 2.0
However, when I open Photoshop and try to for ex rotate a pic it can’t be done because it says I don’t have openGL.
I’ve been googling for 2 days but I can’t find the solution.
Would somebody be so kind as to help with this problem?

To find out if it is just Photoshop or a driver issue get this: GPU Caps Viewer, it is a small program that tells what GL version your system claims it has and what extensions.

From there you will know if it is a system or Photoshop issue. For the former, best hope is to google for Intel drivers for your gfx chipset and OS.

You most likely have a custom OEM driver that doesn’t have OpenGL support included. Download and install the latest Intel driver from http://www.intel.com, implement the fix for when you’re told that the driver can’t be installed (also available on the Intel website) and you’ll be good to go.

Thanks guys.
I instaled GPU Caps Viewer and it shows that my graphic card supports openGL version 2.0.
I also checked my graphic driver and it’s the latest version. However I downloaded it again and installed but the problem still exists. Mhagan I didn’t have the opportunity to implement the fix because I could install the driver.
I think no other solution but to uninstall this version of Photoshop and install another one.
I would have three more things guys:

1. From GPU Caps Viewer I can see that direct X is installed, version 10.0 but under it is written that Phys X is not. May it play any role?
  2. From GPU Caps Viewer I can’t start demo for:
    a) HDR + DoF + Radial Blur
    b) HW Geometry Instancing
    c) Soft Shadows
    while for:
    a) Point Sprite Particles
    b) Vertex Displacement Mapping
    c) Cel-Shading
    I can. Does it present my problem?
  3. How could I check if openGL works on my computer, i.e. is there any other program or anything on my computer which must work with openGL but not Photoshop?

It should not. PhysX is an API for physics (for games) that under certain platforms is hardware accelerated.

Each of these likely requires features beyond “core” GL2.0 (HDR needs render to float buffers, HW instancing needs instancing calls, not too sure on the soft shadows though). But if GPU caps viewer “sees GL2.0” then you have the Intel drivers “working” as well as possible.

1. How could I check if openGL works on my computer, i.e. is there any other program or anything on my computer which must work with openGL but not Photoshop?

That GPU caps view reports GL2.0 is a good sign… some simple tests for applications that use GL:
a) Quake3… there is a “Free” version, openarena. These will test out the fixed function pipeline, circa 1999 or so.
b) Doom3/Quake4 no free version here, but they can be had for cheap as they are quite old. They use the ARB assembly shader API and Intel lists having that support, so they should work too.

i have the same chipset graphics on my laptop and i hope you arent running windows 7 lol
im dual booting windows 7 and windows xp and openGL works in xp but not windows 7
apparently from my understanding windows 7 only came with directx 11 and nothing else
and intel has yet to catch up with ati and nvidia in releasing a driver that includes openGL with it
im actually in between emails with intel support (their support service sucks btw)
so if you are running windows 7, thats the issue… intel didnt check everything and there is only the one driver that they have put out at the moment that only lets us use our display for windows 7

anyways, with that said…
if you want something free you can check open GL with you can try alien arena… its another one based off quake arena/open arena

Ohh thanks mate.
Your answer means to me a lot.
I posted this question on 5 forums but no one is clever with this one.
So you have two OS in your computer.
Does openGL means a lot in Photoshop CS5 or it’s all about zooming and rotating pics?
Would you please give me the email address of intel and I’m gonna send them a couple of ones?

yeah ive posted this in just as many forums myself lol
i just happened by chance to drop in here from a google search
as far as i know of my knowledge of photoshop, the openGL features are probably just if you want to do 3D art which has been new since CS4 i believe (someone can correct me if im wrong tho) cause it lets you actually move and rotate objects in 3D, but in that aspect its not as advanced as other programs like Maya for example…at least when it comes to 3D work. but photoshop is a good tool for picture creating and editing, at least thats the way i look at it lol
heres intel’s support email:
SUPPORT.REPLIES@MAILBOX.INTEL.COM
just keep in mind they are gonna want to make sure you have used your OEM’s drivers etc etc… (pretty much giving me the run around atm, but maybe if we both bother them they will do something lol)

I just got a suggestion.
Something like this:
“maybe you can install WinXP in Virtual Box and try to run Photoshop under WinXP!”
I am at work now but I am gonna try this one in the afternoon.
I sent an email to intel but I got that that email address is not valid.

thats weird, thats the exact address ive been replying too
usually i get a reply back within 2 minutes that says they got my email…
lemme look and see if the initial email address i contacted is any different…
and the virtual machine idea is a good one
though i prefer VMware over virtual box

(actually now that i remember, i emailed them initially directly from their website)
go to this address:
http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=chipset
if live support is up, as it is at the moment im writing this… it will show an option to speak to them directly…
if they are not online it will send an email

Yeah, I tried direct chat and here it is the text:
Sema W: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?
Me Hi Sema.
I use Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family graphic card
on Windows 7
to be more exact: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x3100; Windows 7; 32bit; RAM 2.5MB;
on Acer laptop
it supports open GL 2.0 version
but it shows like it doesn’t support open GL
I can see that using PhotoshopCS5
I posted my problem on couple of forums
and I found a group of people with the same problem
some of them have two operating systems in their computers
because everything works great with Windows XP
Sema W: Did you contact Acer? We have some support information about our chipsets on our website but as chipsets are modified by motherboard manufacturer you can get better information from your laptop manufacturer.
Me:but the same thing doesn’t with photoshop
Yes I did
they told me to update my driver
and I already had the latest one
which is 8.15.10.1930 (9-23-2009) - ig4icd32.dll
the group of people with the same problem think
that when Intel was making the driver for this graphic card for Windows 7
they forgot about open GL
some of those people contacted Intel as well
but nothing yet
This graphic card is not a very strong one but it can work well with 3D and openGL but only with Windows XP
so if some changes could be made on driver
it would work
Sema W: We have drivers on our website but as I explained the chipsets are modified by the motherboard manufacturer our support is very limited
Me:so you suggest to download the latest chipset driver?
Sema W: I suggest you to get the drivers from the laptop manufacturer rather than getting them from our website.
Sema W: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/965
Sema W: this is our support site
Sema W: we do offer information and drivers
Me:Yes I tried with those ones as well as those from official Intel site
Ok
Sema W: but you will get the most updated ones from the laptop manufacturer
Me:one more thing please
is there any email address where the group of people with this problem could send this issue
because we are gathering
and trying to write a letter or something like that
Sema W: The issue you are experiencing is more related to Acer as they provide all the drivers.
Me:So they make new drivers but not Intel?
Sema W: yes they provide the drivers
Me:Ok I’ll try again with them
Thank you very much
enjoy your day :slight_smile:
Sema W: Thank you for chatting to Intel Customer Support. Have a nice day!
Sema W: thank you

yeah they keep giving me the same bs
but its intel that makes the drivers and its the OEM’s that modify those drivers
neither work as of the moment since both intel and my OEM are the same driver version (in my case i have a toshiba laptop and intel’s driver is actually better lol)
and yeah, as you see their support sucks, they will give you the run around and refuse to take responsibility for something they need to be doing

i swear when i get my desktop i will make sure it has no intel parts since this whole fiasco

just got another bs email from them since they dont want to do support on their own driver:

"Hello,
Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.
Please refer to www.opengl.org for issues with OpenGL* and Windows* 7.
If your computer was not shipped with Windows* 7 originally, please check with the computer manufacturer if there might be some patch or update missing for the new operating system.

Sincerely,
Andrew S

Intel Customer Support"

i guess we should let everyone with intel graphics know they wont be able to use openGL with windows 7 cause they refuse to support openGL (both intel and microsoft at this point)

and something else… i called toshiba (which is the only way to get ahold of them other than mailing them), and their “tech” support pretty much just told me i did everything i could and that if any new drivers came out it would be on toshiba’s own download page
so right now im convinced there is no solution at the moment (times like this i wish i used ati or nvidia since they already started putting out drivers for this about a year ago when windows 7 first went public)

just wanted to add that when i try to run Frets on Fire (an openGL game) i get this error and the following info in a log file:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “GameEngine.pyo”, line 355, in run
File “GameEngine.pyo”, line 347, in main
File “View.pyo”, line 183, in render
File “Menu.pyo”, line 207, in render
File “Font.pyo”, line 179, in render
File “Font.pyo”, line 112, in _renderString
File “Font.pyo”, line 233, in getGlyph
File “Texture.pyo”, line 379, in add
File “Texture.pyo”, line 283, in loadSubsurface
File “Texture.pyo”, line 304, in loadSubRaw
File “data/PyOpenGL-3.0.0a5-py2.5.egg\OpenGL\wrapper.py”, line 924, in wrapperCall
GLError: GLError(
err = 1281,
description = ‘invalid value’,
baseOperation = glTexSubImage2D,
pyArgs = [
GL_TEXTURE_2D,
GL_RGBA,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
"\xff\xff\xff\x00\xff\xff\xff\x00\xff…
],
cArgs = [
GL_TEXTURE_2D,
GL_RGBA,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
],
cArguments = (
GL_TEXTURE_2D,
GL_RGBA,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
c_void_p(158572572),
)
)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “GameEngine.pyo”, line 355, in run
File “GameEngine.pyo”, line 347, in main
File “View.pyo”, line 183, in render
File “Menu.pyo”, line 207, in render
File “Font.pyo”, line 179, in render
File “Font.pyo”, line 112, in _renderString
File “Font.pyo”, line 233, in getGlyph
File “Texture.pyo”, line 379, in add
File “Texture.pyo”, line 283, in loadSubsurface
File “Texture.pyo”, line 304, in loadSubRaw
File “data/PyOpenGL-3.0.0a5-py2.5.egg\OpenGL\wrapper.py”, line 924, in wrapperCall
GLError: GLError(
err = 1281,
description = ‘invalid value’,
baseOperation = glTexSubImage2D,
pyArgs = [
GL_TEXTURE_2D,
GL_RGBA,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
],
cArgs = [
GL_TEXTURE_2D,
GL_RGBA,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
],
cArguments = (
GL_TEXTURE_2D,
GL_RGBA,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
c_void_p(161408956),
)
)

maybe someone here knows what this is all about cause i dont really want to deal with intels crap service atm…

It’s odd that it doesn’t work for you, because I have used OpenGL apps on both an Intel 915 and an Intel 4 Series under Windows 7, and they work perfectly fine. Oh, they run like a turtle swimming against the tide through treacle, but they work.

Intel themselves have a page on OpenGL support for the 965 at http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intelg965/sb/CS-023713.htm and according to that it does support OpenGL, but comes with following warning:

Drivers that come with Windows* or that are downloaded from Windows* Update typically do not support OpenGL. For optimal performance of OpenGL applications, install the latest graphics drivers from Intel.

As this is direct from Intel themselves you may be able to use it as leverage for getting some better support from them - they specifically say “use our drivers if you want OpenGL”.

I’d recommend at this stage downloading the Zip version of the driver from here and trying the “have disk” install method (documented here). I’m suspecting that your previous attempts to replace your original driver may have failed (you might be able to confirm this by checking in Device Manager); this method will definitively replace it.

You should note that according to Intel’s notes the 965 will only support up to OpenGL 1.5; I haven’t tested to confirm this but I suspect that it is capable of the full OpenGL 2.0 feature level but requires vertex shaders to be emulated in software (which is why it’s a better part for D3D than for OpenGL as D3D is able to emulate VS in software as well as run them in hardware).

I just saw on the nvidia website they were bragging how the accelerate Adobe PS CS5, so better hardware may be needed.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html
Maybe try "5. Change the OpenGL mode to Basic. "

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83117.html
Apparently they only tested Intel HD Graphics and Intel GMA 4-Series Chipset, and 965 seem to be the generation before…

Of course it supports it.
Even when I go to Photoshop CS5 -> Help -> System Info I get this about openGL :
OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
OpenGL Drawing Mode: Basic
OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: False.
OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: False.
OpenGL Crash File: Not Detected.
OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.
Video Card Vendor: Intel
Video Card Renderer: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator

I must add one more thing which I didn’t notice before.
My Acer laptop is not amongst computer models which supports windows 7.
That’s a bit strange because some older Acer models which were manufactured before support it which means that my comp is especially intended for Vista which also explains why I got a cd with Vista drivers when I bought my comp.
To cut the crap, I must sell this one and buy a new comp.
It will take for a while because I must save money and until then I’ll try to inform as many people with the same graphic card as it’s possible as well as I am gonna send at least one mail a day to Intel.

i think its funny how its stated on their website that if you want openGL you have to download it from their website… but their support says, if you want support for your drivers you must install from your OEM… (i really hate their support right now… grr…@$#$%^@$^)
and i know for a fact that my driver installations are successfull since if they werent id probably blue screen as ive had that happen before after a bad driver install (and yes i did look at device manager after installing these “good” drivers)
and the thing is openGL works perfectly fine with windows xp, but not windows 7
thats the thing, and toshiba only actually supports vista and 7 for my laptop (this laptop came with vista which i had for a year and a half before i formatted my drive and put xp on here initially, i had to jump through some hoops to get xp on here too)
and as far as hardware acceleration goes… intel has these chipsets on full hardware acceleration by default.
honestly, after everything ive read, microsoft never intended windows 7 to run on these chipsets, but its good to hear some intel chipsets run openGL on windows 7 though this is one major reason im not fully switching over to windows 7 :-/

Yap, that’s it.
I’ve been thinking about buying a desktop but laptop is much more convenient and actually a kind of a luxury to have.
But having a desktop always allows you to upgrade just a part of your computer and prevent you from googling 5 days and stop all other activities on your computer while you are searching how to [censored] the system and patch something.

Let’s count up the reasons why it is better to have one but not another one and maybe it will help us or people what to decide to buy:
Laptop you can move all around your flat or house but desktop you cannot

I always got the impression that the 965 was intended to be a “Vista desktop accelerator” rather than anything that you’d seriously (or even not-so-seriously) use for OpenGL (or D3D) apps or games. It was Intel’s first hardware T&L part, which was required for Aero, and the generation before that again (the 945) ran everything I’ve ever tested on both considerably faster - over 2x.