Reading Data From a Fragment Shader

OK, First off, my apologies for posting what seems like a really basic problem, but I’ve done a lot of searches and I just can’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for.

My problem is that I want to transfer integer data from a fragment shader to the CPU, but I can’t seem to read the data correctly.

Rendering to the texture from the fragment shader using an FBO works fine. I can display the FBO’s texture to the screen and everything looks good.

But when I read the values in the buffer, they are not what I would expect.

I set up the texture like this:

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA8, width, height, 0, GL_BGRA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL); 

For testing, my fragment shader looks like this:

void main()
{
   gl_FragColor.b = 100.0/255.0;
   gl_FragColor.g = 10.0/255.0;
   gl_FragColor.r = 1.0/255.0;
   gl_FragColor.a = 100.0/255.0;
}

And the code that reads the data:

glBufferData(GL_PIXEL_PACK_BUFFER, width * height * 4 * sizeof(float), NULL, GL_STREAM_READ);
   glReadPixels(0, 0, width, height, GL_BGRA, GL_FLOAT, 0);
   float* buffer = (float* )glMapBuffer(GL_PIXEL_PACK_BUFFER, GL_READ_ONLY);

My results are:
buffer[0] = 0.15294118
buffer[1] = 0.015686275
buffer[2] = 0.00000000
buffer[3] = 0.76078439
repeats for every 4 floats.

Obviously, I’m doing something wrong… I’m just not sure what.

All I really want to do is write an integer (less than 255, so 8-bits is enough precision) to each channel (RGBA) in the fragment shader and read it back on the CPU. If I could write and read explicit bits this would seem a lot easier, but I’m not sure how to do that in GLSL.

Thanks in advance for any help or a link to how I can figure this out.

I figured out the problem: When the alpha value was not 1.0, the texture was being blended with the cleared FBO. Disabling GL_BLEND fixed my issue.

Thanks to anyone who took time to think about that.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.