getting started

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, am totally new to openGL and trying to get started but have run into a few problems, i started using dev c++ and eventually managed to install glut yesterday and got an example working. However on reopening the same project today it now wont work (lots of linker errors, undefined reference to … etc). After trying a few things I gave up and installed code::blocks and with a little hassle managed to get things working again, what i’m wondering is, is there a way to permanatly link the appropriate libarys (opengl32, glu32, glut32) so i dont have to link them for each new project i do? (doesnt nessecarily have to be for code::blocks, at them moment am jsut looking to set up a reliable ide with as little hassle as possible.
Thanks in advance for any help :slight_smile: )

I’d use MS Visual C++, either 2008 or 2010 Express. Both will cost you nothing so there’s no reason not to. Nothing against DevC++ or Code::Blocks, both are very worthy options, but the MS offerings (especially 2010) are genuinely excellent and will make it much easier for you to work with sample projects you might find on the web.

From there your options would be to hack the project templates to always link your libs (messy and I wouldn’t advise it, so I won’t tell you how! :wink: ), or just add a #pragma comment (lib, “blah.lib”) for each lib to your code.