frame buf under mouse...HOW?

Hello Openglrs :slight_smile:

I have this problem: I textured a plane to visualize an image. Now, I have the cursor of the mouse defining a region on the image. I want to grab the correspondent data in the frame buffer and texture a squared plane with center on the cursor. The square is 20x20.

I save the texture in:
imageCursor = (unsigned char ) malloc (32323sizeof(unsigned char));

then call:
glReadPixels(cursor.center.x-cursor.radius,
cursor.center.y-cursor.radius,
32,32,GL_RGB,GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,imageCursor);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 2); //Create an ID For a texture
	glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT);
	glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT);
	glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	glTexEnvf(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE);
	glTexImage2D (GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, 32, 32, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, imageCursor);

and for the rendering I do:
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 2);
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glTexCoord2f(0,0);glVertex2f(cursor.center.x-cursor.radius,cursor.center.y-cursor.radius);
glTexCoord2f(1,0);glVertex2f(cursor.center.x+cursor.radius,cursor.center.y-cursor.radius);
glTexCoord2f(1,1);glVertex2f(cursor.center.x+cursor.radius,cursor.center.y+cursor.radius);
glTexCoord2f(0,1);glVertex2f(cursor.center.x-cursor.radius,cursor.center.y+cursor.radius);
glEnd();

but I get a kind of dilation of the underneath image (see snapshot)Can anybody help?

Well the code you posted look ok, even if glPixelStorei should be called before glReadPixels.

But how do you setup your viewport and projection ?

Something like that should be ideal, as it allows to work in pixel coordinates :
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Viewing_and_T…3D_rendering.3F
You will have to adapt the quad coordinates to be [0;32] instead of [0;1]

Hi ZBuffeR, thanks for your reply, this is how I do set up the viewport and the projection, how that might effect it?: The smaller quad in correspondence of the mouse is 20x20 big. Might it affect the result?

windw.x = w;
windw.y = h;
glViewport(0,0,w,h);
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); //Defining the Projection
glLoadIdentity();
glOrtho(0,w,0,h,-1,1);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();

Thanks!
Giancarlo

Just to precise, what is not clear to me is also the glReadPixels…expecially the width and height parameters…
if I want a block of pixel fitting the dimension of my quad which is 20x20, shouldn’t I read a block of 20x20 pixels?

Found the problems…now it works! :slight_smile:

It was a matter of defining the radius properly with a division by 2;