How to enable opengl quad buffer in my programme?

hello everyone,
i meet a problem when i am working on my own opengl programme, and i need some help

i can’t initializing stereo with Glut in my opengl programme

my code is as follow:

glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DEPTH |GLUT_STEREO);
glutCreateWindow(“testStereo”);

it gose out with an fatel error:
GLUT: Fatal Error in (unamed): pixel format with necessary capabilities not found.

i am sure that my hardware is suitable for quad buffer opengl.
my graphic card is Nvidia quadro FX1700, installed 197.59 graphics driver. my system is windowsXP SP3
the Opengl Stereo option in my Nvidia control panel is turned on
i can play stereo movies with the Stereoscopic Player in Quad Buffered OpenGL mode
so i think there is no question that my system have the capabilities to work with quad buffer stereo

i also tryed this programme in another computer with an Nvidia quadro FX3500 card, it comes the same fatel error.

so what do i miss?

please help me ,thank you all :slight_smile:

Have you tried glGetBooleanv(GL_STEREO); to verify in code your hardware really supports Stereo ?

I mean, it looks like you have the support but maybe, for some reason, your program does not recognize it.

Anyway I would test that first but I never did any quad buffer openGL so I can’t really help you :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck.

EDIT : I also found this link, maybe it would help : http://www.stereo3d.com/discus/messages/21/2959.html?1098518103

This looks like your problem…Google is a very useful tool :wink:

> glxinfo -v | grep stereo=1

If that doesn’t print anything in Linux, stereo is not enabled.

I believe that’s only going to return whether your app has successfully allocated stereo (LEFT and RIGHT) buffers, not whether your card supports stereo, and if it does, whether the driver’s stereo feature is enabled properly. In Linux, there is an Option “Stereo” … option that needs to be set in xorg.conf. Further I believe you have to choose a stereo visual to create your window in.

thank you for replying :slight_smile:

yeah, i tried glGetBooleanv(GL_STEREO,booleanStereo); and strangly it didn’t make any change to booleanStereo.
whatever i set for boolenStereo, it remained the same after i call glGetBooleanv function

i have seen the link you gave me before,but unfortunately it doesn’t solve my progblem :frowning:
it seems that Nvidia 3D is conflict with Quad buffer OpenGL,so i have already removed my Nvidia 3D driver.but it didn’t help

i’ve been reading web-sites from Google for 3days, and do not get any clue T_T

but thank you all the same :slight_smile:

> glxinfo -v | grep stereo=1

If that doesn’t print anything in Linux, stereo is not enabled.

I believe that’s only going to return whether your app has successfully allocated stereo (LEFT and RIGHT) buffers, not whether your card supports stereo, and if it does, whether the driver’s stereo feature is enabled properly. In Linux, there is an Option “Stereo” … option that needs to be set in xorg.conf. Further I believe you have to choose a stereo visual to create your window in.
[/QUOTE]

but the stereocopic player could work in quad buffered OpenGL as well

and just because i can’t initialize a stereo window, i can’t see the stereo image. if i remove GLUT_STEREO flag in glutInitDisplayMode, the programme can run normally. i can read and write in left and right buffer, but only left image is shown in the screen:(

thx for your help:)