test for intersection in 3D

Ok, I tried to explain this somewhat in the beginner’s forum, but either this isn’t a beginner’s topic, or I didn’t explain it very well.

Note the image below:

All I’m trying to do is compute whether the vector is intersecting a cell on the grid. The vector is computed using glUnProject (two calls) using the near and far clipping panes. This gives me a 3D vector that represents a line going through the mouse cursor towards the far clipping pane. I just want to determine which cell the vector intersects.

Problem is, the cell coordinates are all on the same plane. When I do a global rotate, the grid is rotated but I’m not sure how to tell what the actual coordinates are for each cell. Do I need to apply rotation matrices in some way?

Thanks for any responses.

Right now you have the grid rotated with a model-to-world matrix M1. You have retrieved the positions of two points from the yellow line, in worldspace, L1_A and L1_B.
Convert the line to the grid’s space, and do simple 2D grid-test

Mat4x4 invM1 = inverse(M1);
vec3 gridspaceL1_A = invM1 * L1_A; // might require  division by W
vec3 gridspaceL1_B = invM1 * L1_B;

vec3 gsL1_C = intersectLineWithPlane(gridspaceL1_A,gridspaceL1_B,  Plane(0,0,1,0)); 

vec2 gridPlace = vec2(gsL1_C.x,gsL1_C.y)/fCellSize; 
int x = int(gridPlace.x);
int y = int(gridPlace.y);

if(x>=0 && x<10 && y>=0 && y<10){
    printf("we hit the grid at xy   %d:%d",x,y);
}

Ilian, arent you assuming a parallel ray?

Ok, I’ve almost got it. In the images below, assume that the top of the yellow line is where the mouse cursor is:

So, now I’m detecting intersections no problemo. But what I really want is to “shoot” a ray towards the mouse cursor (imagining that it is “in” the display) from the camera-eye. So, the bottom line is that in this following picture…

… the cell where the mouse cursor is, should be highlighted, and not where the current line intersects the grid.

Does that make sense?

I don’t understand…
When there’s perspective projection: A ray from the eye to the “mouse-position” is visible onscreen … as a dot, never a line like this yellow one.

When it’s ortho-projection, the input ray needs to be constructed in such a way, that it’s again a dot. If he’s in ortho-mode and constructing it so that it’s such a yellow line , then he simply needs to construct it via the previously-mentioned correct way, execute the code I specified, and he’ll get the required result.

In all cases, he just needs to construct the line that he needs (very easy), convert it from screenspace (or whatever-space) into modelspace, and do the very-simple grid intersection test.