Valve Hammer Editor 3d select order issue

Hello,
I have a laptop, using a integrated graphics chip (intel gma x3100) this chip as many compatibility problems with opengl, and just for my luck Valve Hammer Editor (all versions) uses opengl, whenever i try to select an object in the 3d view it just doesnt work, instead of marking the object i want, it will mark the closest object to it, this happens specially when i try to select brush based entities, i tried to use Valve Hammer Editor without texture filter but its still the same, i also tried to update the chip’s driver (tons of times) and doesnt work, anyone knows if theres a way to fix this? This problem occurs only under Windows Vista and Serven (respectively with Win Vista/7 drivers), because under Windows XP (respectively with Win XP drivers) it works fine - as in pictures bellow. It seem to be bug in drivers.

Could developers reply to my issue? Thanks.

You mean, Intel developers ? Or Valve developers ? In any case, you are not asking on the right forum. Try bugging Intel support to get better drivers.

Sorry, no magic workaround for this.

Opengl developers.

Beacuse of this reply from intel:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support. 

For issues in regards to OpenGL* please direct your request to www.opengl.org.

They are wrong.

OpenGL is an open standard.
Each implementation must be done according to a particular hardware, like a driver.
So who do you think is coding the crappy GL implementation you have ? Intel.

You may want to check Valve support if they have a list of supported OS / hardware for their Valve Hammer Editor.

If you want, get the MESA driver which is a software emulation on Windows.
http://www.mesa3d.org

Yes, it is a up to Intel to program their drivers. It is also Valve’s fault if they are using GL to do selection.

V-man: thank you for replying.
could you please help me how to compile mesa and use it instead of OpenGL in this application? Thanks is advance.

V-man: i have compiled lib,got three dlls and copied it into VHE folder, but when i want 3D view, then program crash with violation

Have you actually installed OpenGL drivers from intel.com? If not go to that site and search for Vista/Win7 OpenGL drivers. (No, Windows don’t install OpenGL drivers on their own, it uses a D3D-based emulator.)

Install, reboot and try again.

If that doesn’t help then there’s little you can do, I’m afraid. Intel’s drivers on Linux are generally better than their Windows counterparts - you can try installing Ubuntu inside Windows if you are desperate enough (download the iso, mount/burn and use setup.exe). The other solution is to go back to XP…

Hi again,
I worked out and found temporary solution:
I created two simple vbs scripts for switching beetween accelerated and software opengl mode (by using older software dll for Windows xp - laggy but I can select objects perfectly in this mode):

Accelerated mode (it uses Windows 7 intel’s driver

On Error Resume Next 
strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("SELECT * FROM Win32_Process WHERE Name = 'hammer.exe'")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
    objProcess.Terminate()
Next
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
objFSO.MoveFile "D:\Games\HL_SDK\HammerEditor\ig4icd32.dll" , "D:\Games\HL_SDK\HammerEditor\LOCK_ig4icd32.dlů"
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "D:\Games\HL_SDK\HammerEditor\hammer.exe" 

Not-Accelerated mode (it uses Windows XP driver instead of Windows 7 intel’s driver

On Error Resume Next 
strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("SELECT * FROM Win32_Process WHERE Name = 'hammer.exe'")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
    objProcess.Terminate()
Next
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
objFSO.MoveFile "D:\Games\HL_SDK\HammerEditor\LOCK_ig4icd32.dll" , "D:\Games\HL_SDK\HammerEditor\ig4icd32.dll"
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "D:\Games\HL_SDK\HammerEditor\hammer.exe" 

Moderator could lock this topic :slight_smile:
Have a nice weekend