PDA

View Full Version : Toolkit for Borland C++

StuckInBorland
02-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Please advice me which OpenGL supported GUI toolkit is best to use with Borland compiler (excepting GLUT).I'm working with BDS 2006 C++ and seems like any good "up to date" toolkits (Qt,wxWidgets, even freeGlut) don't support Borland (switching to something else is not an option)
My requirements are basic GUI - menus ,comboboxes, buttons.

Thanks

vivek vyas
02-14-2010, 09:24 AM
"toolkits (Qt,wxWidgets, even freeGlut) don't support Borland"

oh then create a new project(dll)
download source code of freeglut

and start compiling

check for error if any occur

StuckInBorland
02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Hmm...very useful
If you develop for work and stability and limited time are required then usually this way is not recommended that's why I asked for an advice from someone with experience...

vivek vyas
02-14-2010, 09:49 AM
if toolkit not supported then this is look like last option
else go for dev c++(you already said
"switching to something else is not an option"
)
as you said
"My requirements are basic GUI - menus ,comboboxes, buttons."

why not you try to use

Windows GUI
"windows.h"

or you want fancy button
instead of some real 3d work

StuckInBorland
02-15-2010, 12:55 AM
^You are funny....

vivek vyas
02-15-2010, 04:47 AM
hey what the fun behind it
is it "windows.h"

really

i am also hunger to laugh on my words.

Fugitive
03-25-2010, 05:20 AM
BDS contains C++ builder, which has its own Visual IDE that uses VCL for creating GUIs via drag-and-drop. It takes just a few lines of code enable any of the windows to do OpenGL rendering, while still being able to drag-drop visual components on the rest of the form. An example is actually provided in BDS in the OpenGL folder under examples.

Granted the application will not be cross-platform, but you have not mentioned that as a requirement.

StuckInBorland
04-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Using VCL and particularly VCL controls with OpenGL is highly NOT recommended.I didn't believe it few years ago until I tried it myself.... It could be useful only for newbies while learning basics.

Fugitive
04-06-2010, 12:50 PM
^Why is that? Did that come from Borland/Embarcadero or from experience?

As far as I can remember, for as long as Borland was officially developing C++ Builder, they supplied their own samples to do precisely what you are advising against...

StuckInBorland
04-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Firstable the demos Borland supplied were "no-GUI" - only empty window ( I wonder if they knew about problems with VCL controls).

Most serious issue(I have more,but I don't want to turn this thread to Borland slam..):
I expierienced memory access violation while reading data from TEdit/TCombo for my OpenGL drawing, I thought maybe there is something wrong with my code, but after searching in forums/mail lists I found that this is a known problem (OpenGL calls with VCL data fields),if I remember correctly I saw it also on CodeGear(now Embarcadero) mailing list.
It made my computer freeze from time to time, specially for heavy drawings.I rewrote everything in pure Win32(but without GUI) and I never had any problems.

Fugitive
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
^Im not aware of the problems you were facing , but I have been using VCL with OpenGL for a good 3+ years now, on a regular basis, without trouble.

The trick is to not mix the two on the same 'window' or 'form'. That said, you can have a decent VCL tool-bar on its own window that manipulates an OpenGL drawing in another OpenGL window.

I am not sure about passing non-standard VCL data to OpenGL function calls, but standard strings should be fine. Infact, at the moment, I am passing GLSL shaders in real-time via VCL using a TMemo. I can modify the shader on the fly, and see the OpenGL scene change dynamically.