PDA

View Full Version : Sharing FBOs among contexts

skynet
01-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Hi

I wonder, if FBOs can be shared between contexts via wglShareLists. The specifications are a bit vague about it. EXT_framebuffer_object says:

Issue (76) Currently framebuffer objects are shared, should we make them not shared across contexts?
RESOLUTION: yes, framebuffers are shared like display lists and textures are shared.

ARB_framebuffer_object has no such paragraph and only mentions the sharing of renderbuffers explicitly.

But GL3.0 specs (which moved ARB_fbo into core) say:

Appendix D, p.402
Framebuffer and vertex array objects are not shared.

I'm writing against GL2.1 and I'm currently using only the EXT_fbo functions. So, which behaviour should I rely on?

V-man
01-14-2010, 06:18 AM
If you are using GL 2.1 and EXT_fbo, then the FBO ID is shared.
If you are using GL 3.0 (forward), then I think it doesn't matter if you use core FBO or ARB_fbo. The FBO ID is not shared.
In any case, a FBO is not important. The important is the texture or renderbuffer.

Brolingstanz
01-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Well, might change your design a bit having to refactor your FBO per-context or whatever...

Looks like the 3.2 spec got a bit of spit and polish w.r.t. sharing, multiple contexts and the addition of sync objects. Seems to be much better multi-threading opportunities here, what with the new rules on sharing, updates, etc.

skynet
01-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Since the sharing of renderbuffers and textures is still allowed, forbidding sharing of FBOs won't gain much multithreading opportunities. Concurrent access to shared resources must still be covered.

I guess, the reasoning not to share FBOs is
a) they are "just" container objects, so they won't eat up much resources anyway
b) they carry render-state information with them (drawbuffer/readbuffer setting). This would open a door to "render state propagation" between contexts, which is not what "sharing lists" was intended for.

I think, it is safer to rely on "do not share FBOs". It has less problems and is forward compatible to 3.x