PDA

View Full Version : Compositing

sdrouin
12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I want to do the following:

1. Render multiple semi-transparent primitives to a texture using a framebuffer object.
2. Composite the texture on top of the content of the main framebuffer (screen) by binding the texture from step 1 and drawing a quad.

Before rendering to the texture in 1), I clear it with black and an alpha of zero.
The problem I encounter is the following: The color of the semi-transparent primitives are affected by the black background of the rendering texture, which I don't want. On the other hand, I want the color of the semi-transparent primitives drawn first to be blended with the color of the primitives that come later.

Anyone knows of a simple trick to do what I want?

s.

p.s.: Currently, I'm thinking of 2 solutions:
1. Use the stencil buffer to draw the semi-transparent primitives in 2 passes. First draw the part that overlaps what has been drawn before, then draw the part that overlaps the background and turn off blending.
2. Write a shader that would do a similar trick.

Any other simpler way?

arekkusu
12-09-2009, 06:48 PM
You should examine the resulting color and alpha values after rendering to the FBO. Then carefully think about your blend function.

Generally for 2D compositing, you are producing a premultiplied result, so you need to set up the blend function correctly.

aronsatie
12-10-2009, 12:46 AM
What if you use a ClearColor of 1,1,1,0 instead of 0,0,0,0?

Otherwise, when I want non-premultiplied output, I divide the RGB values by the alpha in a shader.