How to update my OpenGL headerfile gl.h?

according to my headerfile <gl.h> myopengl version is GL_VERSION_1_1

Also im missing the function glLoadTransposeMatrix which is available only if the GL version is 1.3 or greater.

Im on a 1 year old laptop that can play games such as Unreal Tournament 3. Shouldn’t my OpenGL version be higher than 1.3?

So how to update to a never SDK version of OpenGL that my laptop supports?

http://www.opengl.org/registry/#headers

Note that some extension-procs have to be loaded with wglGetProcAddress() . The gl.h and opengl32.dll are never updated.

is glLoadTransposeMatrix in there somewhere?

Check the technical wiki for a flotilla of examples & tutorials.

glLoadTransposeMatrix* is in gl.h and you must specify one of the types either double or float ie

glLoadTransposeMatrixd( const GLdouble m[16] );
glLoadTransposeMatrixf( const GLfloat m[16] );

In the long run when you start to need extensions, might find benefit using the cross-platform extension helper library called glew. I find it much easier than having to use GetProcAddress queries for every extension imaginable.

Basically all you have to do is add two lines of code

#include <GL/glew.h>
... after your window is created then
glewInit();
... now extensions available for you to use!

More details on “basic usage” found here

Thanks all this clarified things a bit. Just found it odd that my openGL version wasn’t newer. So this is how folks do it.

A foll0w up – GLEW allows you to simplify and ignore the details as posted at Beyond Windows ogl 1.1. It is worthwhile to read this just to see why helper libraries like GLEW are so valuable.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.