How to build 3D mesh from a line?

Hi, I read on a blog, the following “At the beginning I draw a 3D lines. Then I used vector cross product to prepare a mesh, which consists of 350 points that define shape of object in 3D.”

I ask the author about how that concept works but no reply so far, so if you know reference material and how that works, will be much appreciated.

Cheers
rS

Perhaps you could provide the link to the blog article and it would be easier to provide assistance.

Thanks,

T

Sure, here it is

blog.arsthanea.com/2009/06/25/geon/#more-298

Cheers
rS

I think what he means is that he (assuming it’s a “he” here for simplicity) starts with a line in 3D, and along that line he has a number of control points. These control points would be ordered from start to finish. Now, in order to compute a point not lying on the line, but following the general shape of the line, one could use the cross-product between two consecutive control points. Having computed a number of such points off the line, it would be fairly simple to “stitch” them together into triangles, now that there are points both on the line and away from it.

I would recommend trying to draw it on paper before implementing it. Hopefully, if my explanation is clear enough, it will all fall into place.

Thanks,

T

Hi T,

Thanks for the explanation, very clear, do you know any reference material on how to achive that?

Cheers
rS

I recommend you check out some Linear Algebra for the math, and some examples on triangle strips that you will find easily online.

T