How to keep my passion alive for OpenGL

Hi Experts,

I am learning OpenGL as a passion. I have been working on .net platform for last 4-5 years and I am learning OpenGl as an interest.

I have no prior experience in game development and I want to learn basics of it. I am currently learning OpenGL from OpenGl super bible (second edition). At present i am finishing one chapter per week.

I am really worried about what will happen when I finish this book, I really want to try something so that I can apply my learnings.

My question for experience guys outhere is what all interesting things (game developmment, contests…) I can try to keep my passion alive for opengl.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

“one chapter per week”, “what will happen when I finish this book” - I seriously doubt your “passion” about OpenGL. People don’t study it just for the heck of it, they study it to learn how to produce those shiny lovable pixels. Avert your passion onto pixels, see stuff in games that you want to recreate. Remake some game that you like.
1 chapter per week is extremely slow. Furthermore, modern pixels require modern OpenGL. Dive into all OpenGL knowledge available on the net, learn to filter-out stuff that is no longer supported. If you look at the docs of OpenGL3.2, you’ll see what is no longer supported (for a reason).

1: make a first-person camera, to walk around a world, like in a FPS game
2: make that into a TPS
3: start adding eye-candy
4: add animation
5: add collision-detection and response
6: start adding interactions between player-character and world
7: add more eye-candy

1. even more eye-candy
  2. still not enough eye-candy
  3. now try making it fast

:confused: what is eye candy in terms opengl?
is it means very attractive beautiful(yahoo answers

If a girl likes a guy, she’ll say, “ooo! eyecandy!” meaning, “wow! he’s very attractive.”
).
is there special meaning of eyecandy in opengl.

thanks in advance
apologies for duplicate and abused words

Nice, just lost the whole page of explanation that I typed, while you deleted your post >_< . So, I’ll keep it short:
Eyecandy: complexity of lighting/scene-detail/postprocessing-effects . http://media.photobucket.com/image/eyeca…17-12-09-49.jpg

English: defacto language for tech knowledgebase. Overcome that barrier first, or suffice with the few dry bones that localization throws at you. It’s not like English is native to most of us, either. 4 pages/day is too slow, considering the content.

Honestly, in this day and age, doing anything that uses the fixed function pipeline, (aka prior to opengl 3.x) is a colossal waste of time.

You will need the GL_NV_eyecandy and GL_NV_more_eyecandy extensions to make this work (just joking of course, eyecandy has no special meaning in OpenGL, it just means that you make things prettier).

Nah. If the goal is learning 3D graphics from the ground up (hardly a waste of time), the fixed-function pipeline is training wheels. Sure you can leave them off and try to balance straight-up, but you’ll have more skinned knees. And more weaker learners without help will just give up.

So use the fixed-function pipe to draw some stuff while you figure out how matricies, vertices, colors, normals, lighting equations, and basic texturing work. When comfy, then go crack open the shaders lid.

Seems like the least-pain approach to me. Graphics guys tend to forget what it was like just starting out.

There is no such thing as “Waste of time” in the learning procedure. Only in the production procedure.

I will definitely follow your list, and will try to learn fast