PDA

View Full Version : TGA Texture Problem

Sibelius
09-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi guys,
I have written a TGA loader and am trying to get textures to load from it. I am entirely confident that the loader I have written is working correctly, I have verified the data byte for byte.
The problem is that when I go to load a texture from an image I get very strange results. It looks as though the data is off by one byte per row of pixels. Here is an image to show you what I mean. The top is what should display, below the white line is what DOES display. (the white line is there for your viewing pleasure, it isn't part of either image)
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/9918/examplez.jpg

The code I use to change my image data into a texture is the following function:

GLuint texFromTarga(targa tga)
{

GLuint r;

if(!tga.safeChk)

return 0;

glGenTextures(1, &r);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, r);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST);

gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tga.chn, tga.w, tga.h, tga.pxTyp, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, tga.imgDat);

free(tga.imgDat);

return r;
}

EDIT: tga.safeChk is a bool that is set to false if there is some error loading the file.

tga.chn holds (bpp / 8), meaning the number of bytes per pixel.

tga.w is the width of the image.
tga.h is the height of the image.
tga.pxTyp is GL_BGR for 24-bit images and GL_BGRA for 32-bit images. (I have tried using RGB and RGBA, it makes no difference, except that blue and red are reversed obviously)

PLEASE don't tell me to google a good TGA loader or link me to NeHe. I know my loader works, and I am pretty confident that the problem is some poorly set parameter in openGL code which I would like to A: find, and B: UNDERSTAND. I am guessing it's in the above function, but I am pretty lost and it could be anywhere.

Another important bit I forgot to mention, this works just fine with 32-bit images (i.e. ones w/ an alpha channel), it only fails with the 24-bit files. Just so that we're clear, the rainbow effect only takes place on a per-row basis, meaning that I am NOT reading an incorrect number of bytes per pixel, the error only takes place at the end of each row (by all appearances). If I were reading BGR as BGRA I would be getting fancy rainbows and transparencies on every pixel.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who has any idea what's going on here.

Sibelius
09-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Ok, nobody stab me for this, but if I make my textures with power-of-two dimensions they don't do this. I was under the impression that this didn't matter with gluBuild2DMipmaps, I'm also highly confused as to how this might have caused my problem.
Am I actually solving this by just resizing my textures? Or am I coincidentally hiding some deeper problem?

Ilian Dinev
09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
glPixelStorei(GL_PACK_ALIGNMENT,1);
glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT,1);

Try to avoid gluBuild2DMipmaps, as it internally will resize+smudge the NPOT texture to POT. You can make the gpu create mipmaps for you in 2 ways (via a deprecated tex-param: GL_GENERATE_MIPMAP, or via a modern extension: glGenerateMipmap() ).

P.S. BTW, there's a general requirement in Win32/bmp that scanlines of image-data start at DWORD-aligned address.

zeoverlord
09-07-2009, 05:12 AM
that effect can only be had if you where loosing like a byte or two per line, so it's in your loading code, probably in how you load the last few pixels per line, so do go over your code several times.

I actually had pretty much the same problem, then the problem was in a loop that counted all the pixels on each line.