A topic idea that might make a good sticky.

I am not too sure were this topic would go, but i think it might be a good idea:

A thread dedicated to graphic driver bugs, ideally, a separate thread for different hardware:
nVidia
ATI
PowerVR
Apple:ATI
Apple:nVidia
Apple:Intel

etc.

Maybe in fact a new section under developers, by doing so, GL driver implementors can go to a particular thread here at www.opengl.org rather than scrounge through various posts spread through the forums.

Yes, most of the above have an e-mail to send to for driver bugs, but also such a thread can also provide a means to collect work arounds too, also possibly as part of this idea a sticky stating the e-mail of where to send bug reports to.

So maybe like this:
A new section: Driver
with a subsection for each hardware architecture people are using and then each such subsection, folks make threads to report driver woes and to also allow for feedback (some people have mistaken correct GL behavior as a bug).

just a though though.

Or something like OS / Hardware
And sonmething for spec bugs too

I like the idea anyway!

giggles a new section on Forums, Bugs with subsections, Drivers and Specs. I can see the D3D trolls. Though separating out the OS I think is a bad idea as, admittedly I am being highly PC oriented, but nVidia’s drivers use much the same code between all OS’s and I think ATI’s GL driver does too, so separating out by OS might be ungood.

Though how Apple drivers fit in makes me go wtf, as, I think, they take the driver code from ATI, nVidia or Intel and put their fruit magic on it… so weird when I had a MacBook from work: nVidia 9400M, but only GL 2.1. I was like huh?

They are probably using their own code for state tracking, while relying on vendor-provided code for actual hardware access. The alleged reason is that Mac OS X is too reliant on OpenGL to simply leave the OpenGL stack in the hands of IHVs. As you may have noticed, Apple upgrades OpenGL at the same time as the rest of the OS - you cannot just download a driver to access a new OpenGL version.

I don’t fear the “D3D trolls”, but all the dumb users, that will complain about some game not working. It regularly happens that someone posts in the “developer” section, it’s easy to see that happen a lot more often in a “driver bug” section.

In general the idea is not that bad though.

Jan.

I don’t fear the “D3D trolls”, but all the dumb users, that will complain about some game not working. It regularly happens that someone posts in the “developer” section, it’s easy to see that happen a lot more often in a “driver bug” section.

you are so freaking correct, to avoid that we would need the driver bug section would have to be under a developer section and require an extra click and only advertise the driver bug thing within in developer section. It won’t stop the once in a while over zealous/desperate user whose game does not work though…