Escher Fish - The Inverting Challenge

For my project I am required to make a fish-like shape, and then repeat inverted different coloured patterns so it creates an escher-like pattern

I am aware that the gl library has a lot of shapes e.g. polygon, triangles, lines etc

1. How do I create this image individually to start with - with two triangles or using anything within the library or do I create it from scratch myself?
  2. And after creating the image how do I line it up so the images are lined up seemlessly with each other?

Some pointers in the right direction would be great.

http://www.kimmielee.com/code/triangles.JPG

Um, what’s a escher-like pattern?

Escher - he’s a famous artist.

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/ipsa/journal/images/escher1.gif

It is not very clear what you want to achieve. Do you want a 3d fish like shape covered with the triangles shown in the image? In that case:

I would create the fish in a 3d modeling program such as Blender (free), Autodesk 3ds Max or Autodesk Maya (and probably many other which I’m not that familiar with). You also might be able to find ready to use fish models on the web.

You will have to make the image yourself, unless you have some good quality, ready to use image file already. Use this image to put a texture on the fish model. The 3d modeling program will allow you to shift/rotate/scale the texture on the model in such a way that it will look good.

Now you have the fish in a 3d modeling program and you will be able to render still images, or movies. If you want the fish in your own OpenGL program, you should create an OpenGL program (many ready to use 3d engines do exist which you can use for that) and make sure the program can read the file created by the 3d modeling program (that file will probably contain lots of triangles which make up the 3d model, and also information about coordinates that specify how to put the image on the model). With OpenGL you should render each individual triangle that makes up the model (depending on the complexity of your fish, it can range from about 100 to thousands of triangles).

Mind you… if this is the first time you’re doing such a thing (creating a 3d model, writing an opengl program) you will probably have months of work on this alone as you have to learn a lot of new things.

What he is trying to do is something like this:

Replace the 2D fish with 3D fish.

To the OP, as Heiko mentioned, if you’ve never done any modeling, then you’re going to have a tough time. Echer’s work is not trivial in 2D and bringing it to 3D without modeling knowledge or skills is going to be very difficult. You’re going to need to do this in a 3D modeling program and export it and then read the file in your program. Trying to hard code the objects will have you tearing your hair out in no time.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.