Quaternion interpolation

Hello,

I have a quaternion class that implements spherical linear interpolation, normalized linear interpolation and spherical cubic interpolation of two quaternions. What I would like to achieve now is a formula to interpolate a series of quaternions defining a sort of quaternion-spline so that the interpolated quaternions pass through the quaternion control points, a bit like catmull-rom splines but with quaternions as control points.

I could of course use normalized quaternion linear interpolation but this does not achieve constant velocity. I have read somewhere that this can be achieved using cubic interpolation but I miss the exact details. I guess that there is a clever formula to smoothly interpolate across a set of quaternions with constant velocity, probably every decent skeletal animation implementation does that… Can anyone point to to a working sample or explanation of how to achieve this?

Thanks!
Mic

It’s not OpenGL advanced, but directly Math question, so should be moved there.

probably every decent skeletal animation implementation does that…

No, they don’t. Quaternion SLERP is as good as it gets. Many animation systems don’t even bother with that, using a straight LERP + Normalize instead.

Hi Alfonse, thank you for your reply, problem solved then! :slight_smile: