PDA

View Full Version : glDrawArray not seeing VBOs

Scribe
07-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Hi guys,

I seem to have the same error as in this post:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240776

However, I am not using Display Lists. My graphics card is an ATI 4330HD (mobile) with openGL 3.0 drivers (though I should be in a 2.1 context). I can't even get this far with my secondary Intel card but that was to be expected.

glGenBuffers( 1, &vboID );

glBindBuffer( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vboID );

GLint guiVertexArray[] = { realX, realY,
realX, realY + h,
realX + w, realY,
realX + w, realY + h };

glBufferData( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(guiVertexArray),
&guiVertexArray, GL_STATIC_DRAW );

glBindBuffer( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vboID );

glVertexPointer( 2, GL_INT, 0, null );

glDrawArrays( GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, 0, 4 );

I'm getting an access violation for attempting to access 0x000000000 on the glDrawArrays command. This same code works fine on my nVidia card on my PC so I do not think it's an error on my part. I use GLEW 1.5.1 to enable any extensions.

Any ideas guys?

Many thanks

Lord crc
07-13-2009, 05:23 AM
I don't see "glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);" in that code, did you omit it?

Scribe
07-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Sorry, yes I did omit it but it is in there.

Y-tension
07-13-2009, 06:05 AM
I had a strange similar bug on geforce 3 driver 95-something
where Using display lists with non-VBO-resident-geometry crashed if I did not disable (glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0)) vertex buffers first. Shouldn't crash but did anyway. My guess is that perhaps you've left some state enabled that you shouldn't...?In general it is very easy to get access violations/strange results with VBO if you're not careful. As for the GL 3.0 context, yeah, noticed it myself, when using wglChoosePixelFormatARB (NOT wglCreateContextAttribsARB)it always created a 3.0 context in nVidia 8400(uber crappy card BTW, even a 6600 outperfoms it)
Not a problem though since it is backwards compatible anyway.

tamlin
07-13-2009, 06:30 AM
glBufferData( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(guiVertexArray), &guiVertexArray, GL_STATIC_DRAW );

Are you really, really sure you want a pointer to the pointer? I'm not. Drop the '&'.

Scribe
07-13-2009, 07:39 AM
glBufferData( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(guiVertexArray), &guiVertexArray, GL_STATIC_DRAW );

Are you really, really sure you want a pointer to the pointer? I'm not. Drop the '&'.

Good point, though the compiler seems to understand I'm wanting the reference of the array, but I'll see if it helps.

Scribe
07-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I've tried all the above advice and I'm afraid that the error hasn't changed.

Lord crc
07-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Have you tried using floats instead of ints, and three coords instead of two? Just to see if there's another nice bug in the ATI drivers :)

Also, is this (in essence) the only code you've got? If not, what if you reduce it to only draw this?

_NK47
07-14-2009, 01:40 AM
why do you draw the buffer after creating it anyways? don't you have sort of loading stage/rendering stage in your app?

"glBufferData( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(guiVertexArray),
&guiVertexArray, GL_STATIC_DRAW );"
is definitely wrong. omit the &.

"glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);" make sure noone calls glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY) especially if you use third party OpenGL classes for something.

make sure no other buffer (color, normal) is bound before rendering. glDisableClientState all buffers before rendering.

Scribe
07-14-2009, 02:26 AM
Have you tried using floats instead of ints, and three coords instead of two? Just to see if there's another nice bug in the ATI drivers :)

Also, is this (in essence) the only code you've got? If not, what if you reduce it to only draw this?

Hoho! Thank you! It's an ATI bug (Catalyst 9.3 - sadly can't go 9.5 due to mobile gfx), it doesn't like GL_INT. After changing to GL_FLOAT (and the associated array) it worked fine. It's a tad annoying as I was wanting a clear absolute co-ordinate system but I guess that can just be hidden from the end user.

In regards to passing an array as &array, I've looked it up and for whatever reason it is acceptable in most if not all compilers. It's to do with commands like (&array)[] being used to allow you to pass and array and have it maintain its dimensions.

Lord crc
07-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Excellent, well at least that you figured it out :D

I suspect that internally the driver would have converted to float anyway, but perhaps I'm wrong.