GUI System Advice

Hi guys,

I’m in the process of creating a GUI system in openGL that makes use of vertexes to create a flat rectangle on which to render my interface boxes.

I am attempting to work towards openGL 3.1 compliance by using VBOs however have a question. Which method of updating rectangle positions would you think is more efficient/correct?

1. When a parent box moves containing child boxes, should the parent box update a translate matrix and upload it to the shader program via glUniform (I think I’m correct in saying this is how it works in ogl3.1)

2. Should I update the VBOs of the child boxes to contain the new absolute co-ordinates?

3. Is there a better way than method 1 and 2?

Many thanks for any help.

IMO (2) is reasonable. Transform your 2D scene graph on the CPU. Unless your UI is really complex this usually amounts to a single, parent-relative translation, which you can simply fold into your vertex buffer as you go.

In general lots of shader variable updates are going to put a hurt on your perf.

I was thinking that may be the case but was unsure, many thanks.

On a side note then how were matrices implemented in OGL2.1? Most people translate between models, were they just implemented as uniforms underneath or is there a faster method. Would storing them in a general buffer be faster - or does it take longer to read those… I’m guessing uniforms are cached closer to the shader cores.

Try things out. For me, on any modern nV and ATi card (since GF5xxx and R9550), here’s the optimum approach:

• Simplistic ARB-asm shaders, no transformation done on gpu.

• Rectangles instead of texture2D.

• Clip and transform quads on cpu

• upload triangles via gl*Pointer

• keep batch-arrays in L1 cache

• this all will make best use of the vast AGP/PCIe bandwidth, < 1% cpu usage, for thousands of quads.

• only one dirty rectangle. Adding more just increases the size of the current one (bounding box).

• the dirty area is setup as primary clipping rectangle. Reminder: clipping is done in software.

The stuff above is suitable for my needs, might be unsuitable for yours.