View Full Version : GL_MODULATE and multi-texturing with GLES

04-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi can anyone help me with the best way to multi-texture geometry with two grey scale textures, where I want both the textures to be modulated / modulate with the geometry's own colour? (Both textures are .png with alpha)

I can modulate with one, decal with the second, or add the second, and any number of combinations from this documentation here..

But I cannot seem to get *both* grey scale textures to modulate and give me an overall hue based on the geometry's colour...

Any help from gles FF gurus appreciated. :)

At the moment I am using GL_MODULATE for the first texture unit and then GL_ADD for the second texture unit. This works, but gives me a very white second texture, rather like a blurred decal. Unfortunately GL_ADD_SIGNED takes too much brightness from the first texture, even though it allows the second texture to appear to be modulated.

That kind of makes sense when I read the function algorithms, but I can't see a way to do a more useful half / half blend of texture data with some geometry colour added in. In a shader this would take me 5 seconds! :(

04-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Pay careful attention to the definition of TexEnv. The operation depends on the format of the texture, so a LUMINANCE texture will produce different results than RGBA.

If you want to modulate with two textures, simply use MODULATE on both units.
You'll get primary color * tex0 * tex1.

If you want a "half / half blend" that's completely different. What are you actually trying to do?

04-19-2009, 08:02 PM
You have a point on the LUMINANCE thing. I had not thought of that. I also don't use them often...

Basically I am using two GreyScale RGB textures for now, with an alpha channel on each. I may at some point have some spot colour in the textures so want to keep it that way..

I found that this almost does what I need..

The only problem is because the second texture is effectively a symbol which takes up a small area on the surface of the first texture and the geometry, that it tends to dim the overall image... I am guessing for a similar reason GL_MODULATE simply does not work as I need. It does not matter what order I put the textures in because one of the textures is mostly transparent and ends up killing all the colour from the first texture unit. What I need in a perfect world is a way to modulate and carry the PRIMARY_COLOR through to the second texture unit too, which is why I started looking at functions with three inputs like INTERPOLATE.

I am sure someone who is an absolute guru with the Alpha side of things may be able to work around that, but I am not having much success. Perhaps I may need to look at the way I format the textures?

Other than losing colour intensity INTERPOLATE (used as above) does exactly what I want, giving an overall colour to everything but allowing the lighting effects to hit the geometry as well as both levels of the textures.

Gah. I hate FF stuff! ;)

04-19-2009, 10:22 PM
You still haven't said what you're trying to do.

If you wrote a shader to do it, what would it look like?

04-20-2009, 12:24 AM
I thought I had said what I was doing, but a pseudo shader would probably be clearer..

Something like this..

colour = mix(texture1frag, texture2frag, 0.5);
glColor = mix(colour, glFrontColor, 0.5);

After that I may have to play with some clamping or division, but seeing as this is on a platform where I don't have shaders I have not actually tried it in anger. But I think that describes algorithmically what I am trying to do, more or less..

04-20-2009, 04:32 AM
That is something quite different from modulation, though. It is possible to do that with GL ES with a bit of rearranging.

If you expand the mix() functions, you end up with:

gl_FragColor = 0.25 * tex1 + 0.25 * tex2 + 0.5 * gl_FrontColor;
which is equivalent to:

gl_FragColor = mix(tex2, mix(tex1, gl_FrontColor, 0.666), 0.25);
which can be expressed as two COMBINE mode texture environment stages with INTERPOLATE as the operation, with Arg2 sourced from the constant. Note that some ES1.x implementations only support a single constant value shared across texture environments, so you'd need to use RGB in one environment and alpha in the other, setting the constant to (.666, .666, .666, .25)

04-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks Xmas ;)

04-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks Xmas / arekkusu. I kind of got there with a bit of experimentation today, but your explanation was helpful. :)