Trig for random character movement

I am writing a game using OpenGL (with C++) and I trying to make a character turn and walk in the direction he is facing.

srand(time(NULL));
float dir = rand() % 72; //As I am using directions 5 apart there are 72 to make a full circle
dir = dir * 5; 
float lecDist = 0.05;
float fulldir = fulldir + dir; // total direction turned, starts at 0 and each time character turns it is added on
if (fulldir > 360)
{
	fulldir = fulldir - 360; // if it is over 360 it starts again at 0
}
Vlec = Vlec + (0.05 * sin(fulldir)); //Hlec and Vlec are defined somewhere else, each value then has its counterpart of the 0.05 moved
Hlec = Hlec + (0.05 * cos(fulldir));
glTranslatef(Hlec, Vlec, 0); //Moves the object Hlec across and Vlec up
glRotatef(dir, 0, 0, 1); //Rotates object round point 0,0,1 (x,y,z) by dir degrees
drawLec(0, 0); //Draws the object (calls lec)

The main problem is with the trig, I am trying to move the object 0.05 units in the direction he is facing so I am using the formula:
opp = sin(x) * hyp
adj = cos(x) * hyp

Where hyp is the hypotenuse (in this case 0.05), opp is the Y axis (Vlec) and adj is the X axis (Hlec). It is is basically saying instead of going across the hypotenuse I can go across the opposite angle and the adjacent angle (see sohcahtoa on google).

Anyone know what could be wrong with my maths?

sin and cos take radians not degrees.

Hi,

also

float fulldir = fulldir + dir; // total direction turned, starts at 0 and each time character turns it is added on
if (fulldir > 360)
{
	fulldir = fulldir - 360; // if it is over 360 it starts again at 0
}

can be translated into

fulldir = (fulldir+dir)%360;

Thanks, suddenly feeling very stupid now…