Accelerated Stippled Line Drawing

Is stippled line drawing (patterns) supported by the 3D accelerator? How does it work? Any document out there describes the inner working of 3D hardware?

Thanks.

http://www.opengl.org/documentation/specs/man_pages/hardcopy/GL/html/gl/linestipple.html

I meant to say if this patterned line drawing is supported by hardware naively or the API layer has to setup the geometry to mimic stipples??? :slight_smile:

glfreak
If you want some advanced stippling (with images, or with rectangular patterns), so you have to create quadstrip for each line-contour with integrated width, stored at each vertex, and do some vertex-shader trivial math to make stipples be zoom-independent.
[EDIT]
AFAIK, stippling is not HW-accelerated, but I can be wrong. Anyway, this built-in stippling is very weak, so I recommend to make it your-own.

Some generations of GPU have stipple hardware. The ones that don’t would need to implement that functionality through the pixel shader probably.

Incidentally there’s a nice little Geforce/Quadro comparison over here. Hardware support for all sorts of stuff like AA points/lines, logic ops, clip regions, clip planes, 2 sided lighting, quad buffer stereo, etc.