anybody know how to get OGL working?

Hey whats up?

I’m trying to get OGL on my system working. I’m using XP with SP3.
However when I look at my OGL panel in Aida32, It shows this:
[i]
OpenGL Properties
Vendor Microsoft Corporation
Renderer GDI Generic
Version 1.1.0

OpenGL Features
GL_WIN_swap_hint Supported
GL_EXT_bgra Supported
GL_EXT_paletted_texture Supported
[/i]

I have a Nvidia 7800 GS and the log says it comes with it’s own GL driver. Iwas wondering how to get the working or how to enable ALL the extensions.

Install drivers from nvidia.com for your video card.

I did. I’m using the 181.22 drivers.

Give the 182.06 drivers a try. Be sure to uninstall the old drivers first.

Don’t know anything about that tool or how it queries GL info. You might try GLview, just to be sure things are not what they do not appear to be.

(Also check out chapter 19 of the SuperBible book and source code distribution.)

Ok, I looked in GLView, and this is what it says:

Renderer: GDI Generic
Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
Memory: 256 MB
Version: 1.1.0
Shading language version: N/A
Max number of light sources: 8
Max viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Max texture size: 1024 x 1024
Max anisotropy: 0
Max samples: 0
Max draw buffers: 0
Max texture coordinates: 0
Max vertex texture image units: 0

Extensions: 3

GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_paletted_texture
GL_WIN_swap_hint

Core features
v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)
v1.2 (12 % - 1/8)
v1.3 (0 % - 0/9)
v1.4 (0 % - 0/15)
v1.5 (0 % - 0/3)
v2.0 (0 % - 0/10)
v2.1 (0 % - 0/3)
v3.0 (0 % - 0/21)

OpenGL driver version check (Current: 6.14.11.8208, Latest known: 1.1.0):
Latest version of display drivers found
According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card.

No hardware support
Your current video configuration DOES NOT support hardware accelerated OpenGL.

No compiled vertex array support
This may cause performance loss in some applications.

No multitexturing support

No secondary color support
Some applications may not render polygon highlights correctly.

No S3TC compression support

No texture edge clamp support
This feature adds clamping control to edge texel filtering. Some programs may not render textures correctly (black line on borders.)

No vertex program support
This feature enables vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.

No fragment program support
This feature enables per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.

No OpenGL Shading Language support
This may break compatibility for applications using per pixel shading.

No Frame buffer object support
This may break compatibility for applications using render to texture functions.

Few texture units found
This may slow down some applications using fragment programs or extensive texture mapping.

Extension verification:
GL_EXT_color_subtable was not found, but has the entry point glColorSubTableEXT

anybody got any ideas?

Also, I need comdlg32.dll (or comdfg32.dll) for GLView. Anybody know where I can download it?

Maybe hw-acceleration has been disabled here:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3908/accel.jpg

if comdlg32 is missing, there’s been a major corruption on your HDD or registry-file. Google the missing file (they both are there), don’t download it - but there are instructions how to register the file. Try first to find the file on your hdd (in c:\windows\system32), if a copy of the file is there, make sure it’s in c:\windows\system32. There’s a subfolder there, which usually holds backup copies of such files. If it’s not there, try to find it on your Windows CD/DVD. Only as a last resort download it from the net (it may conflict with your OS version).

Also, maybe it’s possible that the user-account with which you log into Windows doesn’t have permissions. Try-out the things while being administrator.

Sorry it’s been so long, but anyways:

I found it, but when I try to reg it, I get:

“comdlg32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered.”

Now what?

My bad, the comdlg32.dll doesn’t need/support registration.
Did you see in video-adapter properties whether acceleration was “full acceleration” ?
Could it be that you’ve installed somehow an opengl “driver” … i.e replaced opengl32.dll with SGI’s 10-year-old version.
Here’s info on file C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll:
Size: 713,728 bytes
Version: 5.1.2600.2180
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
(this is on my WinXP SP2, on SP3 or Vista I expect the version to be slightly higher)

Even if opengl32.dll is correct in the system32 directory, there could be a different version in c:\windows or any of the %PATH% directories. To try-out if things work with the system32 version of the file, do this:

I have a motherboard made by MSI that was produced for use with Gateway’s computers. I think it’s a MS-6981 or something. I’m not sure if that can effect this.

Also, when I tried to play SS2, It said my D3D driver was incorrectly reporting Texture Memory Usage. So I’m thinking that the hidden cause for that could also somehow be causing this.

Also, SFP2 says it cannot load:

GL_ARB_vertex_program
GL_ARB_fragment_program
GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_NV_fragment_program_2

Is there a site where I can download all these extensions or OGL drivers? I really want to play Homeworld 2 again.

You’re avoiding replying to my questions.

You can’t download opengl. It’s with your drivers. If you did install drivers, and games see there are none usable, then there is a major fault in your PC’s configuration. So, no. You can’t fix it by downloading anything.

HW Acceleration has All Cursor and advanced drawing applications disabled.

And my OpenGl32.dll version is 5.1.2600.5512.

The Nvidia readme says NVOGLNT.DLL is a OGL driver supplied with 182.08 forceware set. Is there a way to make windows use that?

HW Acceleration disabled ? That’s it !
Slide it to full on or whatever it is called !!!

No, it’s still enabled, but barely. And right now that is only effecting D3D. OpenGL for some reason is not effected by this at all.