gluLookAt strange behavior

I am making a platform game in the glOrtho projection, and when i use gluLookAt, the image is seen well, but when i move it, the glu look at doesent move, instead it just makes part of my game screen black, it cuts it off.

The thing i want to accomplish is the camera GluLookat always looking at my player.

this is the code

//SCREEN_WIDTH=1024 and SCREEN_HEIGHT=768

bool init_GL()
{	
	glClearColor( 0, 0, 0, 0 );

glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );
	glLoadIdentity();
	glOrtho( 0, SCREEN_WIDTH, 0, SCREEN_HEIGHT, -1, 1 );

glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );
	glLoadIdentity();

gluLookAt(0,0,0,0,0,-1,0,1,0);

now, the last line of code is gluLookAt, and only with these parameters gluLookAt(0,0,0,0,0,-1,0,1,0);

does the whole screen show, when I, for instance change the reference point

gluLookAt(0,0,0,200,200,-1,0,1,0);

it doesent show anything just a black screen, and when i do something like this

gluLookAt(0.003,0,0,0,0,-1,0,1,0);

than it cuts my viewport in half, and i only see half of my game, the other half is black.

now, the last line of code is gluLookAt, and only with these parameters gluLookAt(0,0,0,0,0,-1,0,1,0);

does the whole screen show, when I, for instance change the reference point

gluLookAt(0,0,0,200,200,-1,0,1,0);

it doesent show anything just a black screen,

This is normal, you have changed your view vector too much: from (0,0,-1) to (0.7071,0.7071,-0.0035). So at the eye position (0,0,0) with view vector (0.7071,0.7071,-0.0035) there is no object to see.

and when i do something like this

gluLookAt(0.003,0,0,0,0,-1,0,1,0);

than it cuts my viewport in half, and i only see half of my game, the other half is black.

I will make a guess here, maybe your object are clipped by the near or the far clipping plane if you draw them with z coordinate equal -1 (near) or 1 (far) which are the limit you give for glOrtho.

See gluLookAt documentation for more information.

You should try to change the camera orientation:

gluLookAt(0,0,-1, 0,0,0, 0,1,0);

This moves the eyes backward and looks to the axis origin.

Best regards.

I tried expanding the near and far clipping but the results were even more confusing, everytingh was larger and the clipping was still there.

this code

bool init_GL()
{	
	glClearColor( 0, 0, 0, 0 );

glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );
	glLoadIdentity();
	glOrtho( 0, SCREEN_WIDTH, 0, SCREEN_HEIGHT, 0, 0 );

glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );
	glLoadIdentity();

gluLookAt(0,0,0,0,0,1,0,-1,0);

Is at the beggining of each main loop, so that in the future maybe i can update the camera to folow my player through the level.

Please, provide the full code and necessary data so we can check by ourself. It is difficult to help you without the whole source code in this kind of situation.