Delphi: Colors of an object loaded with 3ds-loader

Hello,

I was looking for a simple 3ds-loader and found some on the web and I tried to use it with an example 3ds object of a plant but till now i was not able to show it in the right way. There are no external texture files with the 3ds-file but the 3ds editors display the plant in different colors. With the loader everything keeps white and with lightsources only gray shades.

I can not figure out what is wrong and maybe it has something to do with an old openGL version. I don’t want to use GLScene because i like to keep things simple and don’t want to convert my project and base it on all these GLScene components.

The Plant 3ds (m_plnt5_cut.mesh.gz) :
Plant Page

The simple Loader I use for Delphi:
Simple 3DS loader

The loader will display the plant in gray colors
(In the source put Cz := -30; and change the 3ds filename…)

If I load the plant for example in Milkshape 3D tool the pot is blue, the leaves are green and the earth in the pot is brown…

How to show this with a simple loader??

Thanks !!

3ds file stores material chunks. material chunks store information related to the object it is assigned to. f.e. leaf would have green color for surface and maybe a texture assigned to it. first problem is to read material chunk out correctly and store it. seconds problem is to change material ( glMaterial ) values before drawing the corresponding object.

psuedo code in C++ sorry:
setMaterial(0); // leaf == 0
renderSubset(0); // render leaf subset
setMaterial(1); // pot == 1
renderSubset(1; // render pot subset