GL_EXT_direct_state_access, how are you using it?

I quite like this extension but when I read “Make it core OpenGL 3.1” it seams a bit hurry to me.

Such work to make it against OpenGL 2.1 … but a lot of it is already deprecated.

Beside, there is quite some stuff that I enjoy like glProgramUniform but sometime … I’m not sure if this has any future. I’m thinking of bindable buffer.

Then there is the very scary one:
glGenerateTextureMipmapEXT
glGenerateMultiTexMipmapEXT

and the whole idea of “Texture” and “MultiTex”, modify a texture using its name or where it is binded.

What I am affraid, it that it make everything more complicated, 2 ways (or more !!!) to do the same things… I have this sentence in my head that come up “keeps it simple.”

Is anyone as uses it and what is your feadback on it uses?

Yes, there is a bunch of stuff that is dead-end like glMatrixLoadfEXT and glMatrixLoaddEXT. Why do they even add a double version?

Why even create this extension? Just put it in GL 3.0

Also, GLEW hasn’t been updated.

I used it with GLEW, it is updated!

They added this stuff to be OpenGL 2.1 compliant and I believe they had no choice.

I quite like this extension but when I read “Make it core OpenGL 3.1” it seams a bit hurry to me.

“Make it core” does not mean dump everything as is into 3.1. Of course it will be modified as it is brought into the core.

What I am affraid, it that it make everything more complicated, 2 ways (or more !!!) to do the same things…

The whole point of DSA is so that they can deprecate the “bind and modify” style that is pervasive for most objects. So there will be 2 ways to do things, but only until 3.2 when they remove the deprecated bits.