PDA

View Full Version : Reconstructing Eye Coord from FragCoord?

Keith Z. Leonard
08-20-2008, 02:12 AM
Can this be done? SSAO is the goal, my code doesn't work, but here it is, anyone have thoughts? This is based upon the recent Starcraft 2 talk. I take the screen pixel location, convert to normalized device coords [-1,1], then divide by the EyeZ.

EyePosition.xyz = gl_FragCoord.xyz;
EyePosition.w = 1.0;
EyePosition.x = EyePosition.x / ScreenPixelSize.x * 2.0 - 1.0;
EyePosition.y = EyePosition.y / ScreenPixelSize.y * 2.0 - 1.0;
EyePosition.xyz = EyePosition.xyz * EyeZ;

And then add some random offset vector, and recompute the screen space coord, which should be the opposite procedure..

SampleEyePosition.xyz = SampleEyePosition.xyz * OneOverEyeZ;
SampleEyePosition.x = SampleEyePosition.x + 1.0 * 0.5 * ScreenPixelSize.x;
SampleEyePosition.y = SampleEyePosition.y + 1.0 * 0.5 * ScreenPixelSize.y;

I am sure I'm too tired to think clearly and am doing something stupid, any ideas?

dletozeun
08-20-2008, 05:01 AM
If I am not mistaken, gl_FragCoord holds window relative coordinates and 1/w as fourth coordinate.

So I would something like:

EyePosition.xyz = gl_FragCoord.xyz;
EyePosition.x = (EyePosition.x - windowCenter.x) * (2.0/ScreenPixelSize.x);
EyePosition.y = (EyePosition.y - windowCenter.y) * (2.0/ScreenPixelSize.y);

// now EyePosition is fragment normalized device coordinates
// then divide by EyeZ
EyePosition.xyz = EyePosition.xyz / EyeZ;

One more thing, you said "divide by EyeZ" but you do a multiplication in your code... is that correct?

dylhoxic
08-20-2008, 06:13 AM
...based upon the recent Starcraft 2 talk.

Could you post the link to this talk ?

thanks in advance.

MZ
08-20-2008, 09:06 AM
How do you draw SSAO pass: full-screen quad or do you resend all geometry?

babis
08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Full screen quad w/ depth buffer texture & depending on the technique, also a normal buffer.

Keith Z. Leonard
08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Babis has it right, it's a full screen quad that sampled eyeZ from a depth map and eye space surface normals to do the calculation.

Here is a link to that talk.

http://ati.amd.com/developer/SIGGRAPH08%5CChapter05-Filion-StarCraftII.pdf

"
Pixel shader 3.0 offers the VPOS semantic which provides the pixel shader with the x and y coordinates of the pixel being rendered on the screen. These coordinates can be normalized to the [‐1..1] range based on screen width and height to provide a normalized eye‐to‐pixel vector. Multiplying by the depth will provide us with the pixel’s view space position
"

So yeah, apparently multiply is what they meant.

MZ
08-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Never mind then. Another possiblity for trivial bug: did you take into account the negative Z axis direction in eye space? GL uses different convention than DX.

Leadwerks
08-20-2008, 12:26 PM
This has the code you need:
http://www.leadwerks.com/ccount/click.php?id=50

It could probably be optimized a little, but the way it is written was the most intuitive to me.

Keith Z. Leonard
08-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Well, after a lot of playing around, I have results. I was doing SSAO by sampling a disk in screen space, the radius scaled by resolution. I am now sampling within a sphere in Eye space, then reprojecting to screen space to get my depth and normal lookup.

The difference if very small, the results are quite similar. I have some nearZ artifacts with the Eye space math, and the sample radius can be constant, and not scale with actual screen space size, which is convenient.

I guess that I'm surprised they are so similar.

I also tried to do this in world space, but have something wrong with the math. I cannot imagine what though. I simply multiply my eye space point by the inverse view matrix, add my offset, then multiply by the view matrix. No idea how that is going awry.