rotation during movement

I’m currently making a modified version of NeHe’s lesson 19 tutorial.

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=19

I’ve got it set up to do a couple different kinds of particle systems, but the 3d version is throwing me off. I currently have it set up to emit little 3d cubes, but in order to show off the 3d I want them to rotate as they move away from the emitter. However, when I add the code to rotate I can’t figure out where it needs to go or what values need to be in it to make the rotatation work properly. My code is a bit long now, so I’ll only post the part in question unless someone requests the rest.

int Status=FALSE; // Status Indicator
AUX_RGBImageRec *TextureImage[1]; // Create Storage Space For The Textures
memset(TextureImage,0,sizeof(void *)*1); // Set The Pointer To NULL

if (TextureImage[0]=LoadBMP("Data/blank.bmp"))	// Load Particle Texture
	{
		Status=TRUE;								// Set The Status To TRUE
		glGenTextures(1, &texture[0]);				// Create One Texture

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[0]);
		glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
		glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
		glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, TextureImage[0]->sizeX, TextureImage[0]->sizeY, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TextureImage[0]->data);
	}

if (TextureImage[0])							// If Texture Exists
	{
		if (TextureImage[0]->data)					// If Texture Image Exists
		{
			free(TextureImage[0]->data);			// Free The Texture Image Memory
		}
		free(TextureImage[0]);						// Free The Image Structure
	}

glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);		// Clear Screen And Depth Buffer
	glLoadIdentity();										// Reset The ModelView Matrix	

for (loop=0;loop<MAX_PARTICLES;loop++)					// Loop Through All The Particles
	{
		if (particle[loop].active)							// If The Particle Is Active
		{
			float x=particle[loop].x;						// Grab Our Particle X Position
			float y=particle[loop].y;						// Grab Our Particle Y Position
			float z=particle[loop].z+zoom;					// Particle Z Pos + Zoom

// Draw The Particle Using Our RGB Values, Fade The Particle Based On It's Life
			glColor4f(particle[loop].r,particle[loop].g,particle[loop].b,particle[loop].life);

glRotatef(0.3f,1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);						// Rotate On The X Axis
			glRotatef(0.2f,0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);						// Rotate On The Y Axis
			glRotatef(0.4f,0.0f,0.0f,1.0f);						// Rotate On The Z Axis

glBegin(GL_QUADS);									// Draw A Quad
				// Front Face
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y-0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Bottom Left Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y-0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Bottom Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y+0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Top Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y+0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Top Left Of The Texture and Quad
				// Back Face
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y-0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Bottom Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y+0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Top Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y+0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Top Left Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y-0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Bottom Left Of The Texture and Quad
				// Top Face
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y+0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Top Left Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y+0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Bottom Left Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y+0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Bottom Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y+0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Top Right Of The Texture and Quad
				// Bottom Face
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y-0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Top Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y-0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Top Left Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y-0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Bottom Left Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y-0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Bottom Right Of The Texture and Quad
				// Right face
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y-0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Bottom Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y+0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Top Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y+0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Top Left Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x+0.5f, y-0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Bottom Left Of The Texture and Quad
				// Left Face
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y-0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Bottom Left Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y-0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Bottom Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y+0.5f, z+0.5f);	// Top Right Of The Texture and Quad
				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(x-0.5f, y+0.5f, z-0.5f);	// Top Left Of The Texture and Quad
			glEnd();											// Done Drawing The Quad

particle[loop].x+=particle[loop].xi/(slowdown*1000);// Move On The X Axis By X Speed
			particle[loop].y+=particle[loop].yi/(slowdown*1000);// Move On The Y Axis By Y Speed
			particle[loop].z+=particle[loop].zi/(slowdown*1000);// Move On The Z Axis By Z Speed

particle[loop].xi+=particle[loop].xg;			// Take Pull On X Axis Into Account
			particle[loop].yi+=particle[loop].yg;			// Take Pull On Y Axis Into Account
			particle[loop].zi+=particle[loop].zg;			// Take Pull On Z Axis Into Account
			particle[loop].life-=particle[loop].fade;		// Reduce Particles Life By 'Fade'

if (particle[loop].life<0.0f)					// If Particle Is Burned Out
			{
				particle[loop].life=1.0f;					// Give It New Life
				particle[loop].fade=float(rand()%100)/1000.0f+0.003f;	// Random Fade Value
				particle[loop].x=0.0f;						// Center On X Axis
				particle[loop].y=0.0f;						// Center On Y Axis
				particle[loop].z=0.0f;						// Center On Z Axis
				particle[loop].xi=xspeed+float((rand()%60)-32.0f);	// X Axis Speed And Direction
				particle[loop].yi=yspeed+float((rand()%60)-30.0f);	// Y Axis Speed And Direction
				particle[loop].zi=float((rand()%60)-30.0f);	// Z Axis Speed And Direction
				particle[loop].r=colors[col][0];			// Select Red From Color Table
				particle[loop].g=colors[col][1];			// Select Green From Color Table
				particle[loop].b=colors[col][2];			// Select Blue From Color Table
			}

// If Number Pad 8 And Y Gravity Is Less Than 1.5 Increase Pull Upwards
			if (keys[VK_NUMPAD8] && (particle[loop].yg<1.5f)) particle[loop].yg+=0.01f;

// If Number Pad 2 And Y Gravity Is Greater Than -1.5 Increase Pull Downwards
			if (keys[VK_NUMPAD2] && (particle[loop].yg>-1.5f)) particle[loop].yg-=0.01f;

// If Number Pad 6 And X Gravity Is Less Than 1.5 Increase Pull Right
			if (keys[VK_NUMPAD6] && (particle[loop].xg<1.5f)) particle[loop].xg+=0.01f;

// If Number Pad 4 And X Gravity Is Greater Than -1.5 Increase Pull Left
			if (keys[VK_NUMPAD4] && (particle[loop].xg>-1.5f)) particle[loop].xg-=0.01f;

if (keys[VK_TAB])										// Tab Key Causes A Burst
			{
				particle[loop].x=0.0f;								// Center On X Axis
				particle[loop].y=0.0f;								// Center On Y Axis
				particle[loop].z=0.0f;								// Center On Z Axis
				particle[loop].xi=float((rand()%50)-26.0f)*10.0f;	// Random Speed On X Axis
				particle[loop].yi=float((rand()%50)-25.0f)*10.0f;	// Random Speed On Y Axis
				particle[loop].zi=float((rand()%50)-25.0f)*10.0f;	// Random Speed On Z Axis
			}
		}
	}

Well, it looks like instead of rotating the cube like I wanted this is actually just rotating the emitter. I still don’t know where to add the rotation code, but now I’ve replaced the rotation with a translation which turns the emitter into a line instead of a point. It looks pretty interesting I guess. Eventually I’d like to add multiple emitters, or a way to increase the maximum particles, but I haven’t made any progress on that yet. Does anyone have any input? Surely this isn’t as hard as I’m making it.